Thanks

CHOW 466 Rusty Paladin (wips)

CHOW 466 Rusty Paladin (wips)

Character of the Week #466
    Rusty Paladin
    Deadline - Monday, July 2nd 8AM GMT

There once were two brave warriors, a brother and a sister who were the pride of the king’s armies and wore the best armour and weapons available. The siblings believed their many victories came from their skill with the sword and the holy blessing of the God of light. However, secretly the king had bargained with sorcerers and dark Elder Gods to make his warriors unbeatable.
    So many were the protective enchantments cast upon his favourite paladins that they found they could no longer die, getting up again and again form the most horrific injuries.
    When the siblings realised what had been done to them they slew the king, and spent forever more travelling the lands, fighting in war after war, seeking one who can give them a final death.

Some say even today strange armoured figures stride across modern battlefields, being blown apart by tanks
    only to reknit whole again…

• Male or Female human or fantasy race (orc, elf, etc.)
    • Undead
    • Heavy, rusted armour and weapons
    • Genre is fantasy.

The Rules:

- FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots either in the wips thread or finals thread.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models
    , rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process:

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!

Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raganosis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello everyone! Dont know yet if I finish this, and there are a lot to do and think about, but here it is anyway.

Name:  dead_paladin_sketch.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  103.5 KB

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Namesurename For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looks like a undead, but not much of a paladin, mb some holy knight symbols on his props could help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to raganosis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raganosis View Post
    Looks like a undead, but not much of a paladin, mb some holy knight symbols on his props could help.
    Thank you for your feedback, in turn I can say that your Paladin is clearly not dead enough =)

Here is an update, I think I just move forward to some coloring and throwing basic bg to it and that's it.

Name:  dead_palading_sketch_2.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  147.3 KB

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Namesurename For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Namesurename View Post
    Thank you for your feedback, in turn I can say that your Paladin is clearly not dead enough =)
    That's true, my paladin is to new at the moment.
    Good progress, mb that crown is a bit of overkill, a helmet would have a more function i think. The cape feels a bit unnatural, if it's in the wind, then hair should be to.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to raganosis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello everyone ( "`o`)"

This is my first post in these forums, and I'm pretty excited to finally join in- even though I'm a bit rusty myself. I'm pretty wowed by what I've seen from you guys so far, and in general around this board! I may adjust the picture to show just a little more under the knees, but I hope this is acceptable under the 3/4ths rule (600 pixels by 800):

Name:  rustypaladinpost.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  50.9 KB

I think I'll also tone down the abstract smokyness in the background as that might interfere a bit too much with the design . Regardless I'll clean it up a bunch before the next WIP update, it's mostly solid but some things are always subject to change- like the inconsistency of the armor, which I've always struggled with, but will straighten out when I begin to color the paladin. Feels great to make some art again!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alara For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Good evening guys, I did some sketches and initially I really liked 1 and 5. I want the Opnião of you.
    Name:  image.png
Views: 411
Size:  158.5 KB

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vittor G For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  wip2.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  242.4 KB

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paintsmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Namesurename
    I like the strong silhouette you've going on here and the sense of movement of a defeated warrior slowly shuffling his feet forward. The gnarly root details on the sword and the crown also certainly contribute to the storytelling, though number one thing I'd pay more attention to is the perspective, the feet dont sit in the same ground plane. Hope the coloring goes well for you, putting color in a figure with so many dark values without it turning out muddy can be surely a challenge.

@
    raganosis
    Interesting angle, the aerial three quarter, seems like you've got the perspective under control. The shield from the 1st sketch feels way more 3d to me with the back part of the top edge visible, compared to the one from the second. I can only repeat what someone above already said, more undead-y elements wouldnt hurt.

@Alara
    Definitely do clear up that background like you mentioned, it's very distracting and doesnt help the value read on the character herself, especially with white hair. I like the repeated shape language of that diagonal spiderweb present on armor pieces, I'm a bit concerned though about the elbow protector part, seems to me right now it would get in the way when your character would bend the arm - real plate armor elbow pieces allow for full movement of the arm with the inner section being mostly protected by mail, and not plate itself, like this . The other thing I'd recommend is using reference for the hands, since theyre definitely one of the elements human eye naturally pays special attention to, especially in your case, where the hand is sitting in the center of the piece. Nice work though, waiting for the colored version.

@Vittor G
    I like 3, 4 and 5 the most. Second one wouldnt really be very useful to the 3d modeller since putting character in crouching pose obstructs large portion of the design. Ideally for character concept art you want to be as close to t-pose as possible without making your character look stiff and boring. I do have to say though that having your undead paladin move around mostly in crouched position, Gollum-like is an interesting idea, not sure if that was your intention but it's something worth considering for sure.
    Last edited by Paintsmith; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:29 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paintsmith For This Useful Post: