Thanks

Tell me what you think

I will be humble. I really want to improve. I canít without you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dotcov666; June 17th, 2018 at 09:19 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I've removed posts by other users. Don't look for a fight in a thread where there isn't one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Got an awkward tangent with the red leaf trees and her hair. It just stops as it touches her hair, let it continue further behind it or perhaps confuse the viewer by having it in front (depending on what you're trying to say with the piece).

Your style likes to leave part of the painting unfinished look, doing this with the background as well could be interesting, especially with the clouds or background right behind her. The sun needs to be better done, it looks like an after thought, which brings me to the lighting of the piece. You have the sun, but she is not lit based upon it at all. Which makes it look even more off. Her hair should have some of the brown of the eyebrow even with the unfinished look you're going for. I would let a couple of stronger colors on the ear to help the transitional fade off.

Honestly you really should put some more effort into the background because it brings down your work on the figure. General guidelines, Tree branches begin thick tapering to be thinner where they end. It tends to look better to have most leaves in the middle of the trees. With autumn colors don't be afraid to have more yellows, oranges and browns (maybe an occasional stubborn green leaf). Don't be afraid of more variation between the colors of the trees.

Usually when I paint traditionally, I like to start with the background and end with the subject matter, it makes you have to think about the background and how it'll impact your subject. Really what to do with it depends on statement/feeling trying to invoke. I don't know how much pre-planning you do for your paintings. One thing that can help with background ideas is create a few thumbnails (smaller version of artwork) to determine how different backgrounds would affect the look of the figure and change the mood.

Thanks
    Thx. That is the type of criticism I am looking for.

Thanks
    It honestly looks half finished with the blocked out hair, roughed in neck/shoulders, and the previously mentioned backgrounds.

I dig the face, and it's nice seeing you trying to blend more and use different brush sizes.

Though the spock ear looks a little out of place.. especially when the skin tone is out of whack from the entire face compared to the ear/neck/shoulder. Looks like you painted over something previous. *shrug*
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Critique this one

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcov666 View Post
    Critique this one
    Don't replace your opening image with a different painting. It defeats the purpose of the thread. Either start a new thread or just put a new painting within it. The previous critiques have no context now.

Thanks
    I think I prefer this version:

Name:  61fc8abz.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  62.2 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LaCan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaCan View Post
    I think I prefer this version:

Name:  61fc8abz.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  62.2 KB
    That is more like Van Gogh would have approached it!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Is he claiming this as his own work? As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with doing a study of a photo of a well-known celebrity of yesteryear.

I know this user causes problems and is a hair away from being permabanned, but why make things worse instead of actually giving critique?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Can I get a critique

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tenebrae View Post
    Is he claiming this as his own work? As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with doing a study of a photo of a well-known celebrity of yesteryear.

I know this user causes problems and is a hair away from being permabanned, but why make things worse instead of actually giving critique?
    This IS my work. Can I get a critique. Mike you see how they do me? The agitate me and pick on me. Then when i disagree, I am the one reprimanded.

Thanks
    Painting is basically putting shapes of color where they should be . To me , the easiest and most consistent way to paint is to make bands/shapes of color first with no blending , trying to hit the color on the ref as close as possible. When it's done you can just spend 15-30 blending and it should be done.

As for figuring out what color goes where , here are some names : Dorian Iten , Sam Nielson on Schoolism. Software like photoshop has color picker , adjustment layers such as Threshold and Posterize, [ Image->Mode->Lab Color then hide Lightness channel ] that you can use to pretty much figure out what's going on in every single image
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    brushwork, value grouping , what hue van Gogh used , how he used color temperature ... etc.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    I don’t quite get your actual critique?

Thanks
    More refined version

Thanks
    Can I get more critiques

Thanks
    You need to push values more as its has as its bit too harsh. Take a look azaro heads for planes of face, also take a look and study some old masters how they used brush work to indicate planes of face as well moved eye across picture, recommended are Repin, Sargent, Zorn there are loads more, find artists that you like

24. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 68