Thanks

svemir's sketchbook

Hey everyone! It's been a long, looong time since I was on these forums. It seems like more and more people are rejoining the community after a big break, so I figured why not join and contribute!

I've been "learning" to draw since I was a teenager, but I feel like I've been repeating the same mistakes over and over and not really noticing or improving on those mistakes. I would really appreciate some critique and generally just a little nudge in the right direction!

Anyway, I better post some drawings! Just going to dump a bunch of stuff from this past month.
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some more!

Thanks
    Trying to figure out basic shapes of the figure and some life drawing.

I realised I get really flustered and rush through life drawing. These poses are 5 and 10 minutes, I'm not sure what I should aim for in that time though.

Thanks
    I really like the drawings you have posted so far, I think you have a really good sense of 3D form in your drawings. One thing I noticed however is that you seem to be drawing lens shapes instead of round ellipses in your Drawabox planes. I read in a perspective book that it is a common mistake to mix up an ellipse for a pointy lens shape. But overall, beautiful work. I like the way you draw animals and hair. I hope you stick around here and post more!

Thanks
    Thanks for the kind words, Wolves! Good catch on the ellipses, will definitely keep practicing these.

Working on body shapes. I think these rib cages look a bit fat.
    Also a rough sketch for a big wall painting I've been wanting to do for a friend.

Thanks
    figures and weird faces

Thanks
    Trying to figure out some anatomy!

Thanks
    I've moved cities and haven't kept up the amount of drawing that I want. Working to get back at it and become active again in the community here. See you out there, everyone

Thanks
    Drawing more from life these days.

Still trying to work on perspective, but I feel like my exercises are lacking concentration and organisation.

Thanks
    I really enjoyed your work, especially the hands and feet. They feel fluid and active. The figure drawings are good as well .but don't feel as active.

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by Krys! I'm still struggling with giving figures life, I think it's a hint to stop drawing so much from photos. Usually I'm drawing my own hands and feet, so that's encouraging to hear they feel more fluid when drawn from life

Some more stuff from the past few days. Whenever I'm drawing in pen, I always think why I don't do it more often. I love how it feels.

Thanks
    Been in nature for a bit, exploring new cities and trying to draw from life some more.

Thanks
    Trying some more plein air painting/drawing. I realized that my cubes were totally off and I had rushed through them when I started thinking about forms in space. Getting back to drawing and actually understanding them with a ruler again. Going to keep practicing these and measuring and correcting them, the first few that I drew were so totally off it's a little scary!

Would really appreciate some feedback how I'm going about drawing the cubes with rulers, how I'm drawing them freehand and if the measurements I made are actually accurate.

I was also trying to practice tilting the head at an angle through an exercise Ron Lemen has on his website ( http://lemenaid.com/int-exercise-1-ear-to-head-tilt ) I feel like I took so many steps backwards and totally messed up the process. These look totally wrong to me, but I feel like doing these exercises (or similar) alongside getting these cubes correct first will start to look better and make more sense to me. Again, I just feel lost rotating these forms so I hope I'm missing something simple although I'm sure it's just practice, practice, practice!

Thanks
    Sticking to very primitive forms right now. Still feels clunky, but I'm starting to feel the figure in space.

Thanks
    Hey happy holidays! You are doing so well, I see lots of improvements.
    ❖Old Sketchbook
    ❖New Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks for the encouragement, copaloro. Seeing you comment in here has made me want to start updating it again.

I've still been drawing, but far less than I've wanted to these days. Other things have been taking up my time instead.
    Still primarily studying the figure. Want to get much more confident with perspective and rotating forms, but realise I'm missing out on developing my own ideas. Been thinking of a short comic I'd like to do for far too long, but read a post by Gregory Manchess the other day that kicked my ass in to actually developing and drawing ideas. If they're actually never drawn, these ideas don't really exist, do they! It's a nice read if anyone wants to have a look, http://www.muddycolors.com/2019/01/10-things-ideas/ (every post he has written is great, actually)

Thanks
    Some more.

Thanks
    Some older stuff and some more from today.