Thanks

Post On the fence between my passions

Hi, I've been conflicted between my passions for almost a year now. I'm a university student who is studying to become a programmer (IOS). However, becoming a programmer isn't something i chose on my own volition (though it has grown on me to the point that i would say that it is one of my "passion"). Unbeknownst to everyone around me, I have always had an affinity towards art and it's only recently that i tried to learn the craft on my free time. Digital art is certainly something i would like to pursue as a career, but is it possible for me to work on my craft on the side while i also study for a degree? Is it even feasible? Should i even bother trying?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    yeah if i were you id stay away from ios and hit up that linux system if you get my drift i just listened to a guys podcast goes by the name of klaatu digital drawing on linux compared to drawing on windows/mac is bit different yeah you could use the proven programs but open source and graffittiing is where its at so just note

Thanks
    How about you post what you have drawn.
    Getting good ,making solid art in a few years ? Totally possible. Getting a job, making a career out of it ? University cannot guarantee that, don't expect randos on the internet to do that for you.

Most people gets the "liking the idea of being an artist" and " actually trying to be a competent artist " mixed up. One of the easy way to figure out is to get a box-like object ( or a 3d model ) , draw it over and over again until it look just like the reference. If you brain is screaming inside on how boring and mind melting it is and you want to quit then yeah, you might want to think twice about the idea of pursuing art seriously
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GPhong View Post
    If you brain is screaming inside on how boring and mind melting it is and you want to quit then yeah, you might want to think twice about the idea of pursuing art seriously
    That's a really good point. Many people who are studying art are absolutely unwilling to devote even 1 hour to such a task. But also if OP is studying programming, they probably have an ungodly amount of patience.

I don't see why not do both. If nothing else, it's good to have a hobby.

Thanks
    Which university has a degree specifically built for IOS/Swift development? I mean, sure.. A few 'mobile dev' classes, but a whole degree? Ewww.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Is no one here going to mention the intersection of art and programming to make video games?
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Vid'ja whoseits?! Games haven't needed to evolve past ball and cup or kicking a can.
    My commentary is a gift to you.