• Trixstar

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 685 Posts

COW/EOW Crossover #319: Ammunition Room - VOTING

COW/EOW Crossover #319: Ammunition Room - VOTING

Bullets, projectiles, swords, arrows, siege weapons, you name it -- this interior room is used to store ammunition. Modern, futuristic, or medieval/prehistoric theme is yours to choose!

Environment of the Week is teaming up with Creature of the Week -- the theme for this week's COW is "The Guardian of the Ammunition Room" -- see if you can participate in both this week! Head on over to the COW thread:

Requirements:
    -Design an environment showing an ammunition room.
    -Try your hand at creature design in addition to environment design.
    Deadline for entries: June 26,

Good luck, the paintbrush is your sword!
    Last edited by Vulgar`; June 20th, 2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Sharpen your environment design skills at Environment of the Week.

Sketch everyday at Daily Sketch Group.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's gonna be the one with the black outline, sci-fi armory with medieval weapons, including mage-staffs
    I'll use it as "undersketch" for a digital painting most likely... or trace it to another paper and paint it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trixtar: I love it! Super medieval styles, awesome mace there, spears, axes, and bows oh my! Are you going to by any chance be particpating in COW this week with this theme also, or just keeping to the EOW? If no COW, would you mind if I worked up a creature based on the medieval setup you are working with here?

Vulgar: What's up man? Haven't see you since Dekal's sketch event a while back now. I'm trying to make the next one he throws.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lege1 View Post
    Trixtar: I love it! Super medieval styles, awesome mace there, spears, axes, and bows oh my! Are you going to by any chance be particpating in COW this week with this theme also, or just keeping to the EOW? If no COW, would you mind if I worked up a creature based on the medieval setup you are working with here?
    Thank you very much for the compliment
    I might do the COW if I find time, but probably not...
    Feel free to use it, and thanks for asking first much appreciated... Permission granted, looking forward to see what you come up with

Now on a side note... guys.... How do you mix colors in digital?
    Like... where's my burnt umber with a touch of light red/burnt sienna?
    Where is the deep cad red with purple on that digital colorwheel!? It feels like I'm just blindly clicking around with no focus and have no control whatsoever over my color choices...
    I'm SO close to just swatch it out in traditional, take a photo and colorpick the heck out of it in digital

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trixtar: For sure man, I like the theme your running with a lot. Also, check out this video library....just scroll down some to see all the different topics and you may find the answer you're looking for or something of the sort that may help you.
    https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @lege - Oooooh thank you for that link I'll look into that later today! If nothing else there seems to be a lot of other useful resources to all the other 998 things I can't figure out!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So let me get this straight, we have to come up with two different illustrations or just one that shows the creature and the room?

Thanks
    Oh nevermind, deadline is next Tuesday... well shoot

Thanks
    Trixtar: For sure, I find that website to be very useful for begginers and professionals alike. There are tons of great techniques and methods in which to work along with some great revisional foundational stuff that is great for reinforcement, hands down the best site I have seen regarding information on digital painting and drawing, along with other image making information and it's all FREE. The videos are short so even if you get through one a day and produce a study or excercise based on what you learned it will definitely help you with your craft and you'll seen improvement. As with anything, you must find the way that works best for you as there is no certain way, but solid information is never a bad thing to add to your arsenal =) Enjoy!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarej View Post
    So let me get this straight, we have to come up with two different illustrations or just one that shows the creature and the room?
    Great question, just one image with both is totally acceptable!

Thanks
    Wait so we have to include a creature? I thought that was the C.O.W, probably not gonna take part this week since deadline is this weekend

Thanks
    No, you can do just one or the other. That's why there's separate threads. I answered that question too quickly!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow... I can't believe I'm actually doing this with so little time left. I would have actually preferred to work on my unfinished entry for "valley of the rules"

Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  320.3 KB

Anyways... I'm not sure which one I should pursue between the two images above. When I first read the brief the first image that popped in my head was an armory in a cathedral like setting. So I made the first image in blender. After I finished I realize I didn't create an armory, I made a motor pool. So then I went back to the drawing board and after a few sketches, I decided to pursue one sketch that eventually ended up as the second image. The idea behind the second image is that the weapons are creatures locked up in a frozen pod. After I finished the second image I realize that the idea of an armory is not very evident in the image. In fact, the motor pool 3d looks more like an armory than the second image.

Anyways... I'm not sure which one to pick or if I should even try to finish this. I don't feel like speed painting an entry, though I can. I just much prefer illustrations with a lot of time spent on it. Maybe I should just let this slide and finish "valley of the rules" instead... hhhhmmmm.... :/

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trixstar - I really like the WIPs you have going here, I'm liking the placement of the spiked mace -- it gives the room balance.
    edgarej - Cool idea, love the underground blue, black, and faint white color scheme. I understand why you say it doesn't give off the feeling of a traditional ammunition room. I think the reason for this is the open environment: it's like a cavern, and the figures on the elevated rocks make it seem like a place where village elders would give speeches, or where they can overlook the hatching of these frozen ammo-animals. I think it's a unique interpretation. You don't have to do this, but if you wanted it to be more like the brief, I suggest more insulation (less open space) and the removal of the characters on the elevated rocks. Replace those with some type of signs or markers that give visitors or staff members a clue to what's taking place here. Like a "BEWARE: Hazardous Organisms" sign or something. Nice work!

I'm extending the deadline until the 28th.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Vulgar .- OMG we have until 28th now!? THANK YOU!!!!
    ....I spent/am spending this weekend to make color wheels in acrylic paints to digitally color pick from (because honestly, I have no "feel" with digital colors), and study some color theory... I'll start paint tomorrow xD
    And thank you, hopefully I can pull off painting this thing now

@Edgarej - Nooo don't leave me all alone in this challenge lol xD
    Great ideas, I really like them both

@Lege - I couldn't find the exact thing I was looking for but definitely great resources for many other aspects of digital painting

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First wip.... I'm still having heaps of trouble with the colors, but I hope they are getting more harmonized compared to the previous digitals I made

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trixtar: I like the composition that you are coming with on this one. Definitely looking forward to the details of the weapons in the foreground unless you are going take a simpler approach and make them out of focus. Try to get some good contrast on the lighting of your weapons to pack the best punch with interest. Looking real good, just do what you do and follow it through =)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Lege - Thank you The weapons in the foreground are gonna be blurred to keep the focus on all the colorful staffs and swords, but will try and give them some texture. I had to give it a break earlier because an eye strain was starting to build up... Yeeeh that lighting btw, it's really bothering me because it's supposed to be a rather well-lit room in best clean sci-fi style... I used a light-tutorial for some help today, but will probably have to do better on finding some better references for this stuff. Thanks for the encouragement and compliments, I'll take it as far as I can, otherwise it might get re-painted in like 10 years when my skills are to the point where I can make it look like it's supposed to

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trixtar: It's all good man, and I understand the journey of development very well; I also know it never ends either, so with that said, we must just strive to understand the foundational elements of image making and then finding our own way which will develop into style naturally over time. I think you're off to a great start and just slug away at it man. Don't over think things, just fall back on foundational stuff and if you question something just do the quick research to try and better understand it and develop in that area. We live in a completely new world with all this info online, so all the answers are there if you search for them. Enjoy the journey my friend and have fun with your image first and foremost, don't worry about judgement or any of that crap; always remember you can't make everyone happy. The better you can fall back on the foundational stuff and just let go of everything else and enjoy the journey, the better the whole experience is gonna be for you. Challenge yourself in a fun way. It's all about finding that thin line between giving a shit and just saying fuk it,lol.

In regards to the lighting situation, try experimenting by creating a slightly darker transparent layer. For example, make a 25% gray layer and set it to overlay or multiply over your image, then create a layer mask and try different lighting scenarios. You can always paint things back and forth using black and white and you can make as many prototype light layers as you'd like. This is how I find a lot of my lighting in my images and it has worked the best for me so far from an imaginary standpoint..............

This may seem like a cheesy / girly tutorial, but she actually drops some pretty solid info:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y38JkEeADj0

Not sure if you find artistic inspiration through music but I know I do. Not sure if you like rap, but I do, along with almost every other type of music. I've been listening to this track over and over while working on my piece for the COW, it seems medieval, mythological, and fitting,lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-hIhRttUYU

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Lege - Ooooh thanks you for that precious response, exactly what I needed to hear to get my focus straight - very much appreciated! You're right I am over thinking things and then crash face first into the "fundamental walls" because I'm trying to force developing at an unrealistic pace.
    Haha, I love the way you describe "balance"
    Yay, I shall proceed with curiosity and enthusiasm

Also thank you for the links and the layer-tips. I've never tried that "multiply" stuff, time to learn something new
    Huh... I've seen JelArts' videos on traditional mediums + sketchbooks but never digital... Well, guess it's time to change that xD
    Damn it's long time I've heard anything "real" rap music, never been much into it, I'm the metal/hard rock/epic soundtracks type of person... But yeh I'll try listening to music instead of art interviews today

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @vulgar.... I have a huge problem with being OCD sometimes with my own ideas. In this case I got stuck with "wanting" to illustrate a big open space when your typical ammo room isn't that huge, hence both my concepts are waaaaayyyy offfff. Now at this point in time I should change gears, take into account what you said, and redirect myself to illustrate a more appropriate ammo room. But since this contest isn't exactly a client and since I fell in love with my illustrations of wide open spaces, I think I'm going to go AWOL

Anyways. I speed painted the first concept to see what I get, and I got this;

Name:  temp2.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  210.4 KB

So uh yeah... If I don't finish a fully rendered illustration by Thursday (which I know I will not finish), then this speed paint would be my entry. I'm going to go ahead and keep working on it even though I know Trixstar will win this contest (you have my vote miss). Unless someone else enters, her entry is the closest to the concept so people should vote for her.
    Last edited by edgarej; June 26th, 2018 at 11:22 AM.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Edgarej - Nooo, even though I'm much grateful for your compliment, I'd totally vote for yours! We're always told a lot is free to interpretation and yours is definitely better than mine in so many ways! It's an actual environment, mine is.... like a broom closet? Plus, mine is turning more into a prop-design challenge than environment
    It really is amazing what you have made just with a speed painting, I say it counts for sure!

Besides, I'm about to abuse the hell out of this challenge guideline: "Please write a backstory or description":
    People teleport into this secret armory by magic!

I forgot to design a door....
    But here's the progress so far...

Name:  armory_wip_2.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  85.8 KB

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm still voting for you, since your room is magical anyways, you don't really need to worry about the door. It's pretty easy to assume the door is behind the viewer.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trixtar: For sure and we all have to support each other as creatives where we can. We get much farther as a community and people supporting each other and working together than being miserable lonely hermits pent up in our art labs. I'm glad to shift your energy in a more positive and humble direction and really look forward to you creating more freely. You create at your best when you just let go. You have to remember why we all started doing what we do in the first place and that was because we obviously enjoyed doing it. The key to getting ahead is really trying to find enjoyment in what you do and then you can assign meaning to things along your journey. If something doesn't work try something different. There is no absolutel correct approach in art or life in general, it's all about finding what works best for you. I'm super happy for you if you can pick up any tips or tricks from myself or anyone else here, this way you can continue to grow and most importantly enjoy the creative journey more. I love all music here, just this particular creature piece calls for something hardcore and I just so happened to find it in hip hop,lol. I love metal too, after all I am a meat head in the real world and at the gym, lmao. I listen to a lot of art interviews as well. The Crimson Dagger interviews on youtube with Dave Rapoza are great FYI.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...art+interviews

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Edgarej: Absolutely wonderful piece! I think you hit it on the head with fusing both the EOW and COW together with this one image. I was under the impression of doing two separate images for each of these, but I like the idea of trying to condense both topics into one image which is obviously very challenging. You are pulling this off amazingly and I look forward to see your finished piece. Wonderful speed painting indeed! The compositon, perspective, lighting, values, all that are looking really good.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Lege - Thanks again

Yes, it's sometimes really hard to keep focus and be patient... Especially when buried deep in the middle of a painting and all energy is directed at that. I can get pretty tunnel visioned when I work xD
    I'm also good at getting ideas that are waaayyyy beyond my current skill level. At the same time, I do appreciate that it is what it is, in a bigger picture, it would be much more disastrous if I felt I had no ideas worthy of my skills and just came up with the same crap on repeat...
    It helped a bit going back to traditional mediums for a bit yesterday evening and earlier today

And I totally agree, art is such a wonderful infinite thing... better take advantage of that

Btw guys........ So I'm here doing an "environment challenge", yet for the past few days I've been doing weapon designs only, probably spent about 15 hours just redesigning and putting effort into rendering them...
    Since it's just me and Edgarej posting so far, is it too sloppy if I don't complete mine either? I'll go and refine the shields a bit and clean up some line tomorrow, but the "environment" was pretty much done like 2 days ago, unless objects/props are of great importance?

Here's the progress after today... obviously not much progress, spent 3 hours failing a zillion times on the staff to the far left until I eventually went and bought some WoW game time to find inspiration and make a design worthy of my warlock

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, kind of wish I had taken part in this one.

Trixtar- Love the design, love to see the finished thing but if it's gonna take all your time up then don't stress about it, you got my vote

Edgarej- Your design looks like it should be part of a video game, i'm getting that kind of vibe from it, looks good though.

51. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CharliesComics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @trixstar, which far left staff? the skull one? that one is awesome, I love it

53. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @CharliesComics - Aaaw thank you Heh well, I took too long redesigning the staffs and bows especially... And yesterday new watercolors arrived, so I'm sort of itching to get back into traditional xD And yeeeh, it would have been cool to have you participate, we have our deadline extended to today (28th) can you maybe whip up something this fast? Eh, honestly I sort of hope there won't be a voting for this one, I'm just here for the lols and to glare at other people's art and ideas anyway...

@Edgarej - Thank you and yes exactly that staff! The rest are staffs for mage, druid, and priest... Had to be something for the darker magic too xD If I had just sat down with my sketchbook and doodled designs there instead of on the painting itself, a lot of time would have been saved.... But didn't realize that until taking visual notes from my game-staff collection

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This will be my final... It was a mess to apply shadows on the right side + from the weapons on the pillar-thingy, but sort of needed it to emphasize the daggers on the left... so that's how these awkward shadows came to exist

Thanks @Lege for the collab and all your pep-talks/links

57. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast