Thanks

(Need Feedback) Baron Bloodlust Prototype Villain

Here's a drawing of my story's prototype main villain. It's done in watercolor style and in Photoshop. I would like feedback for this drawing. Thank you.

Name:  Prototype Villain.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  107.3 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Off the bat - pretty darn generic. As in this could be 'any given anime guy'. If that's your angle then ok, but maybe try and step out of that realm to make somethign unique?

The head seems massively misshapen (large lump in the back?).

The cloak/shawl has some nice depth, but oddly the face and suit are missing that same depth.
    The gold chain thing doesn't produce a shadow?

The glasses also look too parallel up/down to the page and not to the face.

I never got the tube-sock style collars.. you would figure someone with the title of 'Barron' would have better tailors.

Over all it's a 'meh', but next go around think about making the character unique and through the drawing help tell the viewers who this guy is.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some helpful things to keep in mind:

When designing very evil characters you'll tend to want to use sharply angled shapes.

When designing very good characters you'll tend to want to use rounded shapes. This is basically the same concept a musician might adhere to when composing music: minor keys for moody sounds, and major keys for more upbeat sound.

You have to design using the strengths of whatever medium you're working in. In this instance you're working in a visual medium.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    Off the bat - pretty darn generic. As in this could be 'any given anime guy'. If that's your angle then ok, but maybe try and step out of that realm to make somethign unique?

The head seems massively misshapen (large lump in the back?).

The cloak/shawl has some nice depth, but oddly the face and suit are missing that same depth.
    The gold chain thing doesn't produce a shadow?

The glasses also look too parallel up/down to the page and not to the face.

I never got the tube-sock style collars.. you would figure someone with the title of 'Barron' would have better tailors.

Over all it's a 'meh', but next go around think about making the character unique and through the drawing help tell the viewers who this guy is.
    My intention for the design of this series is the combination with anime and western comics (like Marvel for example). The uniform is not the final design and I also realized about the gold with no shadow oops. The glasses were a hard part for me. Thank you for your criticism.

Some helpful things to keep in mind:

When designing very evil characters you'll tend to want to use sharply angled shapes.

When designing very good characters you'll tend to want to use rounded shapes. This is basically the same concept a musician might adhere to when composing music: minor keys for moody sounds, and major keys for more upbeat sound.

You have to design using the strengths of whatever medium you're working in. In this instance you're working in a visual medium.

Can you give me a good example for the shapes, if you don't mind? I can see what you mean about the shapes as well as different characters.

Thanks
    Can you give me a good example for the shapes, if you don't mind? I can see what you mean about the shapes as well as different characters.
    Name:  shazam.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  300.9 KB

It's really in how you handle the edges. In my crappy little sketch you can see the one skull has very rounded edges and looks quite friendly; comical even. The other has sharper more angled edges and looks decidedly less friendly.