Thanks

Question about breaking into the entertainment industry.

Hey everyone, so I have a burning question that I've wanted to ask for a while. Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I figure I'll try here anyway. For as long as I can remember I've had a huge passion to work in the gaming/entertainment industry as a character concept artist, or if I'm being really honest, just anything to do with character design as a whole. However, I've had a lot of hurdles that require overcoming in order to get there, the biggest one is my health. I've been dealing with debilitating health issues for a large portion of my life and only recently have I started to find a health care provider that seems to be guiding me down the right path towards overcoming them. This is probably a dumb question, but is there like a "prime" age to get into the industry that recruiters look for? Or is it really more just a matter of skill+networking+being active+ disciplining yourself? Because for the longest time I've had this gnawing feeling that the older I get, the harder it will become to achieve those goals that I had set for myself when I was younger. I'm almost 30 right now and have a long way to go before I can put in the time necessary to get myself on a professional level and I would hate to have even more difficult hurdles ahead of me simply because of my age.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    The most important thing is your portfolio. Being almost 30 is of no consequence.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, in my head I'm thinking the same thing, I guess because I've been disconnected from my passion for so long that it was a thought that just festered inside me. I think I just needed to hear someone say it out loud so I could feel like it wasn't just me. Thank you!

Thanks
    I think the art world is one of the few places where you won't find much age discrimination. Unless you're closer to the "kid" end of the spectrum, maybe. I'd put networking as a close second to your portfolio. Any of the higher paying work I've gotten (sculpting for resin figure kits) was because I either knew the people looking for an artist (met them at a convention) or they referred me.
    "A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."