Thanks

[Feedback request] Designing a modern day time machine

Hello, everyone.
    I'm designing a modern day time machine and I feel like I have enough thumbnails.
    But I'm not sure about what design to take.
    So I wanted to ask which thumbnail would be best to work with in the end.
    Or what I could combine to make a better one.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You are not thinking about form check http://drawabox.com/ for basic form construction, How draw book by Scott Roberston is great for man made stuff, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNP...3Q8zr4eKvmhLGQ good if you wanna learn bit more hardcore perspective

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    You are not thinking about form check http://drawabox.com/ for basic form construction, How draw book by Scott Roberston is great for man made stuff, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNP...3Q8zr4eKvmhLGQ good if you wanna learn bit more hardcore perspective

Yeah, this is for a school assignment. We have to come up with a cool design for the time machine.
    They adviced us to make these first sketches fast and 2D.
    But since I feel like my perspective is lacking, I'm doing them in perspective. But still quite quick.
    My final design I want completely correct.

But do you have any suggestions on what I can take for a base for the final design?

Thanks
    Nothing overly screams 'time machine'.. but I like how you have a fistful of stationary, movable, etc machines. They are ok thumbnail sketches, and could do well to get you on your path to doing something more complete.

If you are unsure which one then look at both and give a minute thought on how they would work, where they would go, the scenario that they are built like that versus another one. Find one with a good backstory you can attach to and write it down.. then use that to help guide your product.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    Nothing overly screams 'time machine'.. but I like how you have a fistful of stationary, movable, etc machines. They are ok thumbnail sketches, and could do well to get you on your path to doing something more complete.

If you are unsure which one then look at both and give a minute thought on how they would work, where they would go, the scenario that they are built like that versus another one. Find one with a good backstory you can attach to and write it down.. then use that to help guide your product.
    Ok thank you.
    I have 2 favorites, both good for the story. But my teachers want interresting designs so 1 drops
    so that leaves me with the other to which the teacher also said it was too simple.
    But I quess I can use it and just make a few iterations to make it more interesting

Thanks
    It seems like you're not really thinking very much about what this machine is designed for. If I were a time traveler, I'd want something solid with a window. Gotta keep the dinosaurs out, but I still want to see them. Is this a time machine for time-tourism or for study of the past? If it's for a specific era like 1827, you might design it to look like a stagecoach. Maybe the time machine was invented for assassination purposes or maybe it was invented to bring a particular religion to the past. Maybe it was invented so doctors could go back and help victims of the black plague. Each of those is going to have very different motifs. This is what will give the design its character. A time machine can be anything from a car, a chair with a giant clock on it, or even a metal rod you stick between your legs.

Name:  napoleon-dynamite-time-machine.png
Views: 400
Size:  166.2 KB
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    It seems like you're not really thinking very much about what this machine is designed for. If I were a time traveler, I'd want something solid with a window. Gotta keep the dinosaurs out, but I still want to see them. Is this a time machine for time-tourism or for study of the past? If it's for a specific era like 1827, you might design it to look like a stagecoach. Maybe the time machine was invented for assassination purposes or maybe it was invented to bring a particular religion to the past. Maybe it was invented so doctors could go back and help victims of the black plague. Each of those is going to have very different motifs. This is what will give the design its character. A time machine can be anything from a car, a chair with a giant clock on it, or even a metal rod you stick between your legs.

Name:  napoleon-dynamite-time-machine.png
Views: 400
Size:  166.2 KB
    The aim is to have a modern made time machine, that still looks like it's from modern day.
    That transports a geologist, who's going to the vikings in an alternate timeline (the alternate timeline was my teacher's idea)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Well, actually, I think you'd prefer to do that out of Earth's atmosphere, or at least be prepared for the worst.
    Credits to http://www.mepreport.com/2010/05/01/...complications/

Jokes aside, it would be to cool if you could think of an unusual and neglected problem about time travel (doesn't have to be a big one) and solve it with some clever design. It would season your design with a bit more spice.
    Last edited by pilgo; June 12th, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    Well, actually, I think you'd prefer to do that out of earth's atmosphere, or at least be prepared for the worst.
    Credits to http://www.mepreport.com/2010/05/01/...complications/

Jokes aside, it would be to cool if you could think of an unusual and neglected problem about time travel (doesn't have to be a big one) and solve it with some clever design. It would season your design with a bit more spice.
    yeah, I was thinking of adding some detailed separate parts in the presentation and add in descriptions for them