Thanks

Hand study......feedback please.

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  66.7 KBName:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  44.2 KB
    Okay, first and second attempt. I'm sorry I wasn't as specific as I should have been the first time around. I'm working on improving my shading and perspective. Specifically I'm trying to obtain a 3-D image. Where are my missteps, what have I missed....I know the drawing isn't perfect but I'm working on that at the same time.

I recognize I could start out easier but I don't think I would learn nearly as much as if I challenge myself.

Thanks for your input.

Krys
    Last edited by Krys; June 12th, 2018 at 12:28 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Now try one with reference and compare the two.

Thanks
    Hands are hard, probably pick easier subject You need to think about construction, use basic 3d forms http://drawabox.com/ don't worry about shading yet as you need to get line drawing close as you can before you can start adding tones to it, great shading won't make it better if shapes are wonky
    Edit: You should draw from life as much as possible, I draw my own hand time to time
    Last edited by stonec; June 11th, 2018 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks
    Learn perspective and train your accuracy with proportion, those are pretty much all you need to learn to draw pretty much anything. Or don't and suck for a really long time until you give in and do those 2.

Start with Scott Robertson 's how to Draw , Peter Han
    For accuracy : https://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/

I think these would be incredibly boring stuffs by your standard but you gotta do it anyway if you want to get good fast and learn how to draw everything you want

It's rather difficult to give specific feedback to you really. It's like somebody asking a muscian how to play 5th symphony and he doesn't even remember what notes are on the piano. Whichever advice the muscian try to give on playing that specific music piece will be of no use because the guy doesn't even know the basics to understand what the musician says
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    Agreeing with what everyone else has said about breaking your subject in to simple 3D shapes to construct it. I put off learning perspective for a long time and looking back, I really made very little progress without it.

Although I would suggest the book 'Perspective Made Easy' by Norling (and drawabox.com as stonec suggested). It's a pretty old book, but it was a lot more straightforward for me at least than Scott Robertson's How To Draw. Of course, there's no one perfect resource, it's about finding what works for you. Start as simple as you can, even if you already know what you're learning it will reinforce it.

How To Draw is an incredible book though and I would highly recommend it though. Just maybe not as the very first introduction to perspective as I personally couldn't wrap my head around it at first and it really discouraged me. Fundamentals are incredibly important, but never forgot to just enjoy making art for the fun of it!

Thanks
    Forget about what you are doing right now. Do like 50 or 100 hands.All from reference. Then post your work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigItch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the recommended resources....checking out drawinginabox first.

Thanks
    Appreciate the feedback...yes I wasn't very specific was I? I want to work on perspective, accuracy, shading and details all at the same time so the resources are appreciated.

Thanks
    I would suggest to just work on perspective and simple shapes first. Once you have a good foundation of basic shapes, the details fit in nicely. If you focus on too many things at once, I believe it all becomes overwhelming and frustrating. Keep your practice direct and focused.

Once you have these simple shapes really nailed down, the details will fit in much nicer. Steve Huston gave some great advice, "Don't render your way out of trouble". Basically, no matter how great your details and shading are, it won't save a poorly drawn basic shape or structure.