Thanks

Portrait feedback

I was hoping to get feedback on this drawing. I've struggled with the perspective of faces, though it looks right to my eye I can never be sure. I've been trying to work on doing portraits by eye, without visual aid. This one started as a character sketch, then I detailed the portrait. Close to about 9 hours to get this drawing to this point (lots of adjusting)

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  79.7 KB
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  133.9 KB
    Last edited by Semos; 1 Week Ago at 08:27 PM. Reason: had too many image duplicates

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Semos View Post
    I've been trying to work on doing portraits by eye, without visual aid.
    What on earth for? Reference is your friend.

As for the perspective issue...just build everything in blocks. It'll help you get an idea for the forms and how they fit in perspective.

Name:  blocks.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  70.5 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heres couple of sources that you can look: Proko, and Both books by Loomis Head and Hands and Figure drawing all its worth as well skulls and azaro heads

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    What on earth for? Reference is your friend.

As for the perspective issue...just build everything in blocks. It'll help you get an idea for the forms and how they fit in perspective.

Name:  blocks.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  70.5 KB
    That looks very cool! Even blocked out. I see what you mean, I'm just still unsure where it applies in my drawing

I've started to do pieces without reference because I want to draw whats in my mind, and just let the drawing go where it goes. I find that process much more interesting. Whenever I use reference its just a pencil version of someones face. While I do love to do those and they can feel helpful, it's not always what I do.

Is there anything specifically wrong with the perspective of my portrait? That's what I'm trying to figure out; because I can't see anything wrong - but I'm hesitant to trust my eye.
    IE:
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  130.8 KB
    Last edited by Semos; 1 Week Ago at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Perspective is a factor, but it's not really the issue. You need to become comfortable drawing spheres, boxes, cones and cylinders interacting in perspective. You also need to know how to measure out equal distances within perspective. Afterward, you need to figure out how to draw stuff using only those kinds of shapes. Eyes are just spheres sitting under a box we call the brow. This is one of those concepts that you just have to trust until it *clicks* in your head and you understand it. You can refine those shapes as you go, but they need to start out in a very basic state that is easy to place in perspective and measure.

I'm only just now starting to really *get it* myself. I've started seeing cubes and such in people's heads in day-to-day life. It's almost like you develop a kind of x-ray vision. I read somewhere that "first you have to learn to draw what you see and not what you know. Then you learn to draw what you know instead of what you see. Then you'll start to see what you know."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Perspective is a factor, but it's not really the issue. You need to become comfortable drawing spheres, boxes, cones and cylinders interacting in perspective. You also need to know how to measure out equal distances within perspective. Afterward, you need to figure out how to draw stuff using only those kinds of shapes. Eyes are just spheres sitting under a box we call the brow. This is one of those concepts that you just have to trust until it *clicks* in your head and you understand it. You can refine those shapes as you go, but they need to start out in a very basic state that is easy to place in perspective and measure.

I'm only just now starting to really *get it* myself. I've started seeing cubes and such in people's heads in day-to-day life. It's almost like you develop a kind of x-ray vision. I read somewhere that "first you have to learn to draw what you see and not what you know. Then you learn to draw what you know instead of what you see. Then you'll start to see what you know."
    Ah alright, that does make sense. I guess by hammering in this technique it will eventually give me that confidence to know if my drawing is correct or incorrect. I'll revisit those basic principals