Thanks

Beginner, new to art!

Hello all,

I am Joe, nice to meet you all. I got into art a few weeks ago and heard about this forum. Being able to post and get critiques sounds awesome. I am using online resources to self teach.

I do not really where I am going right or wrong, or where to go next. But I find concept art amazing, so I know I have a long journey ahead.

Apologies if I am using the forum incorrectly, I have never used forums before. So please let me know if I am doing things incorrectly. All advice welcomed, I have attached my sketches from today.

Also appologies that the images are not the right way up. I do not know what to do about that!

Thanks!!

Name:  9A677E68-C8B6-45E3-84D4-2F8FB2AB85CE.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  150.3 KBName:  21FE6AD0-B2D4-4AFE-9583-FDB9FC15D40D.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  93.7 KBName:  E04585B6-F8E6-4A93-B7C4-6B63B632FF32.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  55.3 KBName:  0E106F0D-247E-40FF-A9A4-F9597CEE6349.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  105.4 KBName:  33619E36-870B-4F2D-8E8B-FA3BF1DAFC56.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  48.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think you are doing very well. You are getting the angles and the proportions right on that whole face but the features look a bit too big, but overall you did pretty good. Your noses and eye look pretty realistic, but the proportions of the whole face are making it lose it's potential to look realistic a little bit. Studying the basic parts of the skull and muscles of the face may help too. Your linework is pretty nice too.

I am a beginner so I don't feel qualified to give much criticism or advice but I'll give you advice I've been given that helped me. I don't know if you already know about this, but Drawabox.com is a great site to get started and it helps you understand perspective, construction and form, etc. There are also some exercises on texture there that I think will help you too. I also recommend drawing objects from life - someone suggested this to me when I first came here and it really helped me. Also, don't be afraid to use reference.

You might be able to rotate the images in MSPaint, you will also be able to resize them and crop them a little bit in MSPaint too, so it's easier for people to see.

I hope you stick around here and I hope to see you progress even further!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolves1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome to the forums, artbyjoe.

I second Wolves1234's comments.

I'd highly recommend you to work on general head proportions before digging deep into the details of the features. You can easily get away with the features being just a hint if the proportions are right.

Also, work on your line confidence. Quick, confident strokes will make your stuff look a lot better.

And just grind at it. Get some mileage.
    Last edited by pilgo; 1 Week Ago at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips, my next practice session will be focused on general head/face proportions. I have been going along with Prokos videos, in the order they were made. It hasn’t talked much about the positioning or size of facial features. Just about the vertical positioning of the features on the face! Thanks again. Will post again after my next practice session!

Thanks
    What is the deal with new artists and trying to draw ultra detailed eyes. Just eyes by them selves. Rant aside, I think you shouldn't waste time drawing up individual facial features. Being able to render an eye or a nose really well doesn't really matter if you can't draw the rest of the head. Just draw a bunch of heads, faces, figures etc. Without focusing on individual details. Because if you spend 100 hours drawing an eye to the best of your ability, all you really have to show for it is an eye. Draw faces and don't even care about the quality.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback! That’s why I am using the forum, I am self teaching so the direction you have given is really important to me.

Thanks

Some more sketches

So based on feedback, I’ve been doing some Proko heads today. These took a lot of concentration and clearly have a long way to go. I’m struggling to gauge the oval on the side plane. I get that the furthest inward point is the brow, but how far is the left meant to go. I know feedback said I shouldn’t spend any time on the details, but couldn’t help having a little doodle here and there!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks

A little confused

I can’t seem to get the oval on the side of the head right. Anyone got any oval tips? I can’t figure where the oval mid point should be, or if it is meant to be circular or very thin oval! Anyone give tips on what I’ve done so far?

Thanks

More heads!

Thought I was done for the day. But managed some more heads!

Thanks
    When I said focus more on heads I didn't mean to stop drawing features altogether. Just it's better to draw everything together rather than spending an hour drawing an individual nose in space. Because you want to know the relationship between each element of the face.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJams View Post
    When I said focus more on heads I didn't mean to stop drawing features altogether. Just it's better to draw everything together rather than spending an hour drawing an individual nose in space. Because you want to know the relationship between each element of the face.
    I'd say it is actually better to ignore the features for now, since he is struggling even to draw the head sphere thingy from Loomis.

Joe, why don't you take a look at https://drawabox.com/ exercises on primitives forms? Maybe do a bunch of them will also help with your stroke confidence.

After you get real confident about the sphere and cylinders and stuff, the method from Loomis will be much easier.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks

Contour drawings

I’m working through ctrl paint unplugged, currently on the contour lesson, I find that these require so much effort. I do like the technique of holding the pencil out to get the angles and proportions. 1 more of these to go! Ignore the rough details on a few of them, they were just put on to see if the drawing made sense!