Thanks

Scott Robertson's line weight video

I see this fairly often whenever I lurk in the critique centre, and it bothers me. I can't say much against the intent of it (or provide any better); but are the results in the vid patchy and dissonant, or is it just me?
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,625 Times in 4,561 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Be aware there is not one correct way to approach line quality. It is very much like reading a text aloud, in that we all agree that it is bad to read all syllables in the same rhythm/tone. Instead, the reader must create interest/tension/atmosphere/focus by speaking louder/softer, higher/lower, faster/slower, and so on. Scott Robertson has a very technical approach to drawing, and he seems to emphasise his line quality in order to explain it, but I invite you to study other artists.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Be aware there is not one correct way to approach line quality. It is very much like reading a text aloud, in that we all agree that it is bad to read all syllables in the same rhythm/tone. Instead, the reader must create interest/tension/atmosphere/focus by speaking louder/softer, higher/lower, faster/slower, and so on. Scott Robertson has a very technical approach to drawing, and he seems to emphasise his line quality in order to explain it, but I invite you to study other artists.
    Same goes to art in general, but first you have to learn grammar then you can start applying it way you want and figuring out what works and what doesn't but you have to be consistent in your work
    Last edited by stonec; June 10th, 2018 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks
    I agree 100%. The type of drawings I do for our engineers in-house are much different than the drawings I do to show the design department, which are again much different than what our customers see. (Architecture). Different line weights are only a small part of the variations. Context is super important in picking a style
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)