Thanks

Slingshot- C&C most welcome!

Mariner 10 flying by by Venus on its way to Mercury
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    The subject matter is clear in its entirety, however your lack of believable lighting makes the entire image read quite flat.

Its'a challenging subject matter to paint. TBH for traditional work like this, the sphere aspects could be handled really well with stencils and an airbrush.
    I am concerned that we are possibly losing some contrast and saturation due to the quality of the photo washing out the image rather than a lack of contrast in your colors. Perhaps some post digital correction is in order?

As said, its a readable image, but right now the lack of any strong contrasts and bold tones are really hurting it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I suggest you study how other artists approached this. Personally, I would make the Mariner overlap the planet, and crop a lot further...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tenebrae View Post
    The subject matter is clear in its entirety, however your lack of believable lighting makes the entire image read quite flat.
    You’re a much more accomplished artist than I am so forgive me if I’m soeaking out of turn, but isn’t unbelievable lighting kind of a problem with space in general because of the lack of atmospheric perspective? Like it seems most space photos are either pure black shadow or pure saturated colour in light
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by octopuscats View Post
    You’re a much more accomplished artist than I am so forgive me if I’m soeaking out of turn, but isn’t unbelievable lighting kind of a problem with space in general because of the lack of atmospheric perspective? Like it seems most space photos are either pure black shadow or pure saturated colour in light
    Yes, it is a very tricky subject matter and I admire anyone who tries to tackle it. When I say lighting though I mean more in the definition of the shapes presented to us. It still has to follow the same rules in that everything we visually perceive is made up of light and shadow. It's what allows us to define shapes, their volume and direction.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    John Berkey comes to mind who did some space paintings but you have details everywhere thats why you dont have clear focal point
    Last edited by stonec; June 10th, 2018 at 03:56 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 20