Thanks

I want to fix my underwhelming art

Hi, my name is Nate and I'm trying to push my digital art career much further. I attached some of my freelance work.

I'm pretty lost when it comes to composition and I have issues with coloring, especially making things too dark. I also have a strong feeling that my images are generally lacking, having poor depth and looking artificial.

If anyone would be interested in critiquing my stuff, I would really appreciate it. Thank you for looking at my work.

Name:  luxen scene final small 2.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  245.8 KB

Name:  luxen-character-final small.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  308.5 KB

Name:  future zatilok action pose final small.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  154.2 KB

Name:  hive early sci fi final small 2.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  231.6 KB
    Last edited by norab; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:47 PM. Reason: reuploaded images in RGB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to norab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First off - perhaps get away from doing weredogs or animal people. Maybe work on actual scenery and people to get that down. Start zeroing in perspective wise.

Sure your images have quite a bit of detail, but it seems repetivie detail or detail overload.

Top one - The scenery is too busy and frankly confuses the eye on the left hand side.. not to mention I am unclear on how far those plants are from a tree versus a river or how big the falls are, etc. So perspective issues.

Also that looks to be a common anime pose so I feel I have seen it a ton of places. Pure half view and crouched 2/3s view. Mkay. Also the glowing from the bottom seems oddly placed.

Second one more - dog people. Okay.. but here nothing is really being told about them besides animal people seem to wear pants. (THough that blue one's left leg looks to jut out wrong.) Are all your dog people drawings from teh front? Is there no character study from all angles so, say, an animation team could use it as a style guide if in an office setting?

Third one - space cat.. better than another dog person but confusing posture. How is the viewering getting a full on crotch view without a super curled spine? The knife hand seems.. odd. Like I can't tell what is going on.

The bottom one - So not a cat OR dog person.. that's a plus. Here detail sort of goes away.. like the boot should have definition.. well.. both of them.. seems they were forgotten.. the clothing is much simpler. What happened to all the detail from the dog people's pants and fur? Not translating well?

Definitely good work, but areas to shore up (well from what I was showing).
    Last edited by modi123; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:28 PM.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for your critique. Wide range of issues to work on. I assume master studies and life drawing would be a good start. I have tried painting landscapes from photographs, which I think I should do more.

Also, these paintings were made specifically for a client. They are from a fantasy/sci fi table RPG. Apologies if the furry theme is jarring. I can post more varied work, maybe it would be better in a sketchbook thread? I'd like to keep posting art continuously.

Thanks
    A sketchbook thread would be best.

I figured this was the sum of your work's direction.. if not.. sure.. let 'er rip, tater chip!
    My commentary is a gift to you.