Thanks

Newbie Illustrator Looking for Critiques

Hi people, I've been absent for a long while! I was studying a lot, trying to improve my drawing and painting skills.
    I've been even picking some freelance work as an illustrator since 2016!
    Anyway, until last year I could see my growth as an artist, I'm certainly not some great draftsman/painter by any means, by I could see my own improvement. However this year I'm feeling stuck. I can't move forward, I'm feeling lost and feel that every single piece I do sucks. This year I only got very few jobs and I'm feeling pretty down right now.
    So I'm posting some of my paintings in here and in other places to get some critiques, see what my shortcomings really are, where I'm failing harder, what should I study more and, hopefully, get some tips to help me get better. These are paintings I'm actually kinda proud of, but please be honest, if you think they suck please tell me but also elaborate a bit on why do you think they suck.
    To see more of my work and maybe get a better perspective of the whole, you can visit my portfolio at http://www.andersonmaiaart.com/ .

Thanks in advance people and sorry for my lacking english!
    Name:  Anderson_Maia_Illustrator_ConanInTheFloodedRuins.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  215.9 KB

Name:  Anderson_Maia_Illustrator_StygianPriest.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  170.0 KB

Name:  Anderson_Maia_Illustrator_Wizard.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  382.1 KB

Name:  Anderson_Maia_Illustrator_MongoosePublishingWorkSamples.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  169.5 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I dig them.. merging the old Frazetta vibe with a bit more cartoony look, but they all look like I have seen them elswhere.

Take that Conan-ish one.. It could have been used in Brutal Legend (the game)

The snake one looks a bit Street Fighter, but not bad.. maybe shore up the perspective on the floor.. perhaps give it a marble finish of sorts that goes to the perspective point.

Wizard guy I am certain was from an old D&D artbook.. Derp wait.. Mongoose Publishing?! So RPGs it is. I should have scrolled farther.

Have you tried breaking out and doing other things besides people? Landscapes? Cityscapes? Animals?
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    I dig them.. merging the old Frazetta vibe with a bit more cartoony look, but they all look like I have seen them elswhere.

Take that Conan-ish one.. It could have been used in Brutal Legend (the game)

The snake one looks a bit Street Fighter, but not bad.. maybe shore up the perspective on the floor.. perhaps give it a marble finish of sorts that goes to the perspective point.

Wizard guy I am certain was from an old D&D artbook.. Derp wait.. Mongoose Publishing?! So RPGs it is. I should have scrolled farther.

Have you tried breaking out and doing other things besides people? Landscapes? Cityscapes? Animals?
    Hey modi123, thank you for taking your time to help me out.

"merging the old Frazetta vibe with a bit more cartoony look", it's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish! Thanks!

Yeah illustrating RPG books is exactly my goal, and I've been freelancing for publishers like Mongoose and others.

I guess what you're suggesting me to do is, trying to be more original? am I a bit too cliche? I guess I spend too much time on old RPGs materials and on the same books and whatnot so I should expand a bit more to find new stuff to paint. By the way, the old wizard may be similar to old D&D stuff, but I didn't actually copy anything! Just to be clear haha.

I really don't like environments paintings too much. They don't attract me at all. My main influences are Frazetta, Brom, Bisley, Jim Murray... see a pattern? All of them focus on characters/creatures and the backgrounds are there just to indicate where the action is happening (at least that's how I interpret it). But I am trying to do more studies on this and I totally agree that I should include animals.

Thank you again!

Thanks
    Yeah, definitely branch out. I mean you got the chops, but the first thing I thought is "Man I saw this all before somewhere". So either super similar or super similar. Not a bad thing just the first over all feel.

Are you in any of the published Mongoose books? It would be nifty to know.

I suggested branching out to just get a bit of stretched perspective and get you looking at things in a slightly different way.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    Yeah, definitely branch out. I mean you got the chops, but the first thing I thought is "Man I saw this all before somewhere". So either super similar or super similar. Not a bad thing just the first over all feel.

Are you in any of the published Mongoose books? It would be nifty to know.

I suggested branching out to just get a bit of stretched perspective and get you looking at things in a slightly different way.
    Actually yes, most of the works I've been doing were published. You can check out my work on Mongoose's Central Supply Catalogue, Garden World, The Last Flight of Amuar, Fall of Tinath, Pirates of Drinax, The Great Rift, Deepnight and more recently I made a couple of pieces to their Element Cruisers but I don't know if it was published yet. I also made a lot of different freelance stuff for other companies like The Design Mechanism, Nat20 Studios, Jon Brazer Enterprises and more recently to Scrub Oak Publishing and Rite Publishing but I also don't know if they were published or not (it's easier to know with Mongoose since they presented me with a digital copy for each).

Thank you for your help, I will certainly force myself to try different things, even landscapes *shudders*, at least as a means of study.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to andersonm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For what it’s worth, landscapes are a crucial element of world building in fantasy and RPG.
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like your work. It would be a bit easier to see if you posted pics that are a bit smaller. Right now, I have to scroll to see the whole thing.

And also agree with the above. For guys like Frazetta, although the focus was obviously on the characters, he was able to do great backgrounds in proper perspective and whatnot so that his characters felt like they were really there and the world was alive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fraser View Post
    I like your work. It would be a bit easier to see if you posted pics that are a bit smaller. Right now, I have to scroll to see the whole thing.

And also agree with the above. For guys like Frazetta, although the focus was obviously on the characters, he was able to do great backgrounds in proper perspective and whatnot so that his characters felt like they were really there and the world was alive.
    Hey octopuscats and Chris, thank you both !
    Sorry for the huge pics, I just grabbed them right from my portfolio, I was feeling pretty frustrated when I posted and didn't thought much I guess.

Yeah, I have to force myself into landscape painting. I do understand the principles behind 1,2 and 3 point perspective, in theory at least, I just feel so confused when trying to actually draw and paint it! I mean, I can apply it to simple forms and objects, although some things end up looking kinda like toys and not real objects, I guess I mess the proportions or the sense of scale somehow, but when trying to make a city with buildings and cars or a "simple" castle on a hill I feel completely lost about the scale and sense of distance and placement and just feel frustrated.
    Do anyone have some practical tips to help me out with my backgrounds?