Brought here because photobashing is usually used for concept art and designs. Photobashing was brought up in response to art thieves and how professional artists "Steal" art via tracing it and photobashing. They used the fact that professionals photobash as an excuse for someone to trace someone else's art.

I don't work in the industry nor do I have anyone to directly ask so I was curious as to how photobashing actually works. I don't think that professionals just take random images from google and other artists to put filters and trace over, but rather they photobash using images that are either royalty-free, pay to use, or that they take themselves. As far as tracing, I think that they trace over images that they own/were made by other in-house artists (modelers, other concept artists, etc.) so it's basically the same as using an image that you have permission to use rather than tracing over someone's art from DeviantArt, especially since the concept of permissions and licensing exist so if you could just take anyone's art or photographs for photobashing I think they'd be obsolete.

So how does photobashing actually work? How do you actually photobash or rather, how do you not photobash?