Thanks

Unhappy New artist here with some serious questions and in need of motivation

Hello peeps, new member here on the road of self improvement. I am currently in the second year of college getting a design degree (blegh). I'm 19 and really want to be a concept artist but I suck, really bad (I have 2 years of college left with parents expecting a hiluge career yet it looks dim). Anatomy , perspective and so forth. I really need help with the fundamentals and would like to get a move on. Is there any books or videos anybody recommends. How do I draw heads to a proportionate body. I got a wacom tablet but I cant even draw well so I'm sticking for traditional for a while. Is there anybody who motivates you and gives tutorials for beginners? Thanks for everyone reading

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,006 Posts
    We cannot be specific without knowing your skill level, so it helps to start a sketchbook here. I think http://www.proko.com is a great start for understanding the human figure. And, no, I cannot motivate you, that is really something you need to figure out for yourself.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Drawabox.com is also a good place to start, along with drawing objects around you from life.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    2 years is not enough time to do anything well. Maybe 5 years if you put in 8 hours a day every day, more likely 10 years.

Thanks
    Go to Art Centre maybe I do think you can make it in a few years if you can get good education from trusted, credible educators. Information isn't the same as Education. Education, imo , is about filtering , structuralizing , information and troubleshooting the student's mistake . Some rando throwing you some resources is very different from being taught by professionals . You don't know how credible the person ggiving you advice is and that person doesn't know whether or not you really digest the materials or just screw around for a few times.

Your situation puts us in a really uneasy spot to answer, suddenly we are somewhat responsible for the success somebody who hasn't demonstrated any competence, especially in such a short amount of time. Here in CA.org we keep getting people unwilling to put in investment for their future career and expect to be industry-ready from scratch in a few years. I don't think you can even differentiate illustrators and concept artists.

As for the possiblity of making it in a few years, I do think it's possible .There are quite many young professionals these days. Check out FZD's student gallery .
    I also know Thomas Chamberlain Keen , kind of personally ,who is 20 like me and he went from anime art pleb to 2 times Cubebrush competition winner and working in Atom Hawk-Britain in 2.5 years : https://www.artstation.com/tck

As for starting , either drawbox.com or ctrlpaint.com ( the free section )
    Last edited by GPhong; May 28th, 2018 at 11:40 PM.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    Yeah, theres a ton of good advice here but sometimes someone says something and I'm like "wtf"

Happens too much for us to be able to catch it. Also having multiple teachers is a big deal - no one person knows everything.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GPhong View Post
    As for the possiblity of making it in a few years, I do think it's possible .There are quite many young professionals these days. Check out FZD's student gallery .
    I also know Thomas Chamberlain Keen , kind of personally ,who is 20 like me and he went from anime art pleb to 2 times Cubebrush competition winner and working in Atom Hawk-Britain in 2.5 years
    This is meaningless without statistics. Art schools are promoting themselves with stories like this, selling the idea that you can be successful by just going through their program, without telling you that the very few people who are, were either extraordinarily talented, or had already years of training under their belt.

I have wasted four years in animation school, and of the 100 students I have watched closely, there was one talented young man, a fistful of people with previous art training, a lot of kids who struggled to get some level of proficiency, but the bulk of it never made it in industry. No, that is still no reliable statistics, but a lot more reliable than the few students proudly mentioned on the school's website.

Sketchbook Blog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    This is meaningless without statistics. Art schools are promoting themselves with stories like this, selling the idea that you can be successful by just going through their program, without telling you that the very few people who are, were either extraordinarily talented, or had already years of training under their belt.

I have wasted four years in animation school, and of the 100 students I have watched closely, there was one talented young man, a fistful of people with previous art training, a lot of kids who struggled to get some level of proficiency, but the bulk of it never made it in industry. No, that is still no reliable statistics, but a lot more reliable than the few students proudly mentioned on the school's website.
    I don't sell the idea that going to school will guarantee you a job . I'm selling the idea that it's possible to make it in a few years and having a good education will give you a better chance.

It's kind of a cliche saying that art school sucks and then you see the person tanking at self teaching. A year of rigourous "gesture" without any undertsanding of perspective and form , 3 years in and still unable to draw a decent figure, like "what the fuck are you doing ?". And it happens again and again.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    I don't sell the idea that going to school will guarantee you a job . I'm selling the idea that it's possible to make it in a few years and having a good education will give you a better chance.
    It is not art school I am having a problem with: it is poor statistics.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    It is not art school I am having a problem with: it is poor statistics.
    then what i'm supposed to say ? Everyone is doomed to slave away for 10 year just to break into the field ?

Thanks
    then what i'm supposed to say ? Everyone is doomed to slave away for 10 year just to break into the field ?
    How about "It takes many years to become employable in the field, and most people never make it"?

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    How about "It takes many years to become employable in the field, and most people never make it"?
    I didn't say it's easy . I said it's possible . Never would I try to guarantee anybody success

You took a paragraph out of the entire post and skewed my original point

Thanks
    Not a concept art professional, but I do work professionally in architectural drafting/rendering: you don’t have to jump into your desired field immediately after graduation. I did two years of art school and realized I wouldn’t be able to build my skills in time to become a professional artist, so I switched into architecture and picked up my degree/work experience in that. Now I’m looking at expanding my own 3D modelling skills in my free time so maybe 5-10 years down the line I can be a full time visualizer. My job is not my dream job but I like it enough that I don’t regret my educational path. Life is pretty long, you can start in one place and slowly work towards where you want to be later. Graphic design is a very in-demand field and if you build your skills enough in that during school you’ll be able to utilize it after graduation. Get a Feedly and subscribe to some design blogs, it's a very diverse field with a lot of new things going on constantly
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi. You could try listening to Bobby Chiu's streams while practicing for some motivation. His guests give good insight.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKf...xX8AT0JjmG2H0Q
    Good luck to you.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ( ´ ▽ ` ) For This Useful Post: