Thanks

Opinion on my online portfolio, please?

https://www.instagram.com/coolinktattoos/ please look at my portfolio and give me good and honest criticism on my work. And please be honest without being rude.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    First off, don’t call yourself a tattoo artist or apprentice before you’re even in a shop. Anyone who looks at that is going to throw your application in the garbage immediately. Tattooing is highly romanticized. I have some pretty big pieces so I’ve become fairly good friends with some artists, and it’s a very hard rough life. A lot of them experienced some really terrible things during their apprenticeship because the artists know there’s always a thousand other people ready to step in if you quit.

Tattooing, more than anything else, is about linework. None of your pieces show good linework. I can tel you’ve had to draw the same line four or five times, and none of those times were straight. You need to get this down before you even think about applying anywhere. If you can’t draw a good line with a pencil and infinite time, you’re not going to be able to do it with a vibrating needle on a moving canvas with only one chance.
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Also it looks like your styles are all over the place. I see some traditional, some stuff that’s popular in South Korea, some Japanese, etc. Get good at one thing first before you try to do every single style. They all require different skill sets and understanding of the tradition. Many tattoo artists only work in one or two styles at most.

Thanks
    I guess I should ask, why do you want to be a tattoo artist and what are your artistic goals?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,624 Times in 4,561 Posts
    You'll also be copying other people's artwork when learning, so you might as well do it now. Find some real cool tattoos that you like and try to reproduce them. Also do a ton of Master Studies.

Don't want to end up on on a thread like this https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/bea...7/bad-tattoos/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You could vary line weight bit

Thanks
    Also things to think about: can you afford to be an apprentice?

Apprenticeships are unpaid and often are 1-3 years in length. Even more commonly, you have to pay for the privilege. Anywhere from $3-10k is common. They are 40-60 hour work weeks plus practicing in your free time, and also buying all your own equipment and ink.

Thanks
    When I read portfolio I was expecting more an online portfolio than an instagram account, however i'd say your work is interesting. There is a clear evolution in the pictures so I think you will progress as you try different styles and discover which one you are more comfortable with. And regarding your portfolio I would suggest to create a proper portfolio so your pictures look more professional, I am currently using Worka.io is pretty simple and easy so for you it could work. Hope it helped!