Thanks

Drawabox vs Drawing on the right side of the brain

I am a complete beginner in drawing and there is some time now that I've started drawabox. I'm still at Lesson 1. Now I came across the book called Drawing on the right side of the brain and from what I see people say it must be a really good one. Should I do drawabox course and then start that one as well? What more does this book have that drawabox doesn't? What do you recommend me to do?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would say finish drawabox as it shows you how to think about form and construction.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...e-of-the-brain

Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain mainly teaches you to map the 3D world around you to the 2D picture plane, an approach which is founded in over-simplified psychology, illustrated by entertaining eye openers. This skill is something that serious art students have already acquired on their own.

Drawabox helps you to train your muscle memory, an essential step too many people skip nowadays. I suggest you work your way through it!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    I think Drawabox and DRSoB represent a basic introduction to two different, but equally important skills in drawing: construction, and the picture plane.

Construction being reducing the subject to basic forms and drawing them, and the picture plane approach being copying what is in front of you as if it were 2-D (rendering the 3D, 2D). You need to be able to do both because you may be able to reduce things to boxes, but you also need to be able to draw them in the correct place, and the correct proportion.

So it's not an either/or. Just read what interests you and whatever you can access. Life isn't so short. You can do both and decide for yourself what you prefer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    I think Drawabox and DRSoB represent a basic introduction to two different, but equally important skills in drawing: construction, and the picture plane.

Construction being reducing the subject to basic forms and drawing them, and the picture plane approach being copying what is in front of you as if it were 2-D (rendering the 3D, 2D). You need to be able to do both because you may be able to reduce things to boxes, but you also need to be able to draw them in the correct place, and the correct proportion.

So it's not an either/or. Just read what interests you and whatever you can access. Life isn't so short. You can do both and decide for yourself what you prefer.
    So from what I see, I need to do both. I'll do first drawabox. Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain mainly teaches you to map the 3D world around you to the 2D picture plane, an approach which is founded in over-simplified psychology, illustrated by entertaining eye openers. This skill is something that serious art students have already acquired on their own.
    That would depend on how much talent they have for it. I have been at it for decades and can still not do it, though I did improve thanks to Drawing on the Right Side, and lots of practice. :-)

Drawabox helps you to train your muscle memory, an essential step too many people skip nowadays. I suggest you work your way through it!
    Never heard of it before, though it rings a bell. Went to have a look: it looks very interesting and useful!