Thread: Help me please

Thanks

Help me please

Hey guys, I'm in need of some honest help here. I've been struggling to improve my art, as it is many of our dreams, I wish to work with it. I have noticed some improvement in the past few months especially. The problem is I'm not getting better as fast as I think I can. Probably because I have no-one to critique my art but myself, being a beginner it isn't wise. I heard that you guys are the ones to ask and that I'll probably be able to notice mistakes and seek improvement more efficiently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello!

What I have learned recently is to always use references , if you cant find proper poses then just take a photo of yourself in the pose you want to paint or ask someone to pose for the pic, at least thats what I do ;p

I think sternum has wrong angle, it is moved too much to the right and I dont understand what happens with clavicles and on the neck. Arms are too short, hands are too small, shortenings are not correct as well. Skull need some fixes as well. The character is some kind of "withered" undead guy what makes bones/ muscles more readable and thats realy hard to execute without strong anatomy knowledge. Thats why I think references are crucial. If you dont know how something supposed to look like, instead of just guessing, check it, google it. You will improve better using references and you will not keep doing the same anatomy mistakes over and over. It is said that old habits die hard, so better to prevent them early

I am waiting for some updates on that piece! Keep working !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meszka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meszka View Post
    Hello!

What I have learned recently is to always use references , if you cant find proper poses then just take a photo of yourself in the pose you want to paint or ask someone to pose for the pic, at least thats what I do ;p

I think sternum has wrong angle, it is moved too much to the right and I dont understand what happens with clavicles and on the neck. Arms are too short, hands are too small, shortenings are not correct as well. Skull need some fixes as well. The character is some kind of "withered" undead guy what makes bones/ muscles more readable and thats realy hard to execute without strong anatomy knowledge. Thats why I think references are crucial. If you dont know how something supposed to look like, instead of just guessing, check it, google it. You will improve better using references and you will not keep doing the same anatomy mistakes over and over. It is said that old habits die hard, so better to prevent them early

Thank you so very much! I really appreciate you taking the time to fill out such a lengthy response. I agree totally that I should have used reference. It is something I try always to do, I just happened to sketch out a skull and thought the idea was cool. Unfortunately I got too carried away. I have no intention on pursuing this one any further, I have learned from it and I will take it to the next one. Never again will I go into an illustration without a game play first.
    Something I was really focusing too on this one was rendering it out and the overall mood the background conveys. If you have any time at all could you comment on those two as well please?
    Again I really do appreciate the thought and criticism behind your comment!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meszka View Post
    Hello!

Thank you so very much! I really appreciate you taking the time to fill out such a lengthy response. I agree totally that I should have used reference. It is something I try always to do, I just happened to sketch out a skull and thought the idea was cool. Unfortunately I got too carried away. I have no intention on pursuing this one any further, I have learned from it and I will take it to the next one. Never again will I go into an illustration without a game play first.
    Something I was really focusing too on this one was rendering it out and the overall mood the background conveys. If you have any time at all could you comment on those two as well please?
    Again I really do appreciate the thought and criticism behind your comment!

Thanks
    Getting the mood you want in an image has a lot to do with color and value. The overall design of the composition is also a factor. As are the figures themselves. You should always be trying to re-enforce the mood you want with all the other elements. And don't forget to do thumbnails. They'll allow you to explore what your own goals are for the piece. They don't need to be very complicated. Just jot down rough ideas and refine them or move to a different idea. The point is to save yourself the hassle of getting hours into a painting and realizing you've got a problem. You've got to solve all the problems before you begin painting. It sounds harder than it is...though it is hard.

Here are a few thumbnails I did recently. They're not works of art, they're just how I got some ideas out. I eventually decided I didn't even like the direction I was going at all and scraped the project. Better to spend a few minutes doing this kind of thing than hours doing one detailed piece that you later decide to scrap.

Name:  thimbs.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  169.3 KB

Here are just a couple of ways just changing the colors around in your piece can alter the mood.
    Name:  moods.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  218.9 KB
    Last edited by David_a_ray; May 27th, 2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: had you're instead of your (can't abide that)
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 39