Thanks

Eugene's Sketchbook

Hey guys,

Looking through these threads has been very inspirational. My art journey began around January, I've been trying to keep a consistent drawing schedule though it can be very demotivating considering my current level.

My goal for this sketchbook is to post at least one page a day, and my goal for drawing is to do about an hour a day until I build the habit of drawing daily.

I'm excited to see how far I go!

I could also use advice on what to study, books, critiques, etc. I will be mainly focusing on figure drawing but I do plan to branch out here and there.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    These drawings were done yesterday at a life drawing session. I go twice a week, Wednesdays and Saturdays. The gestures were 90 seconds while the poses varied from 15 minutes - 30 minutes. Normally I can sustain about 20 minutes before getting mentally exhausted.

I received a critique from someone who told me to focus more on structure, so the next few sessions will have less shading and I will try to incorporate more structure.

I spent about 2 hours drawing with a buddy today at a coffee shop but I was feeling pretty discouraged...man this road is a tough one.

Name:  gesture_1.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  83.7 KBName:  gesture_2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  84.8 KBName:  pose_1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  82.4 KBName:  pose_2.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  97.5 KBName:  pose_3.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  88.4 KBName:  pose_4.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  81.3 KBName:  pose_5.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  87.9 KB

Thanks
    I wasn't really feeling up to sketching today (what else is new) but since I just made this thread I figured I need to start being consistent, and hey the only way to improve is to put that mileage in!

I decided to do something I normally always do when I'm not feeling up for it...LOOMIS HEADS!!! So I spent about an hour doing loomis heads to warm up. I feel like this is great warmup material since you're doing a lot of circles and ovals.

After warming up for an hour I decided I want to get better at drawing boxes, I want some perfect, sexy looking, boxes. These were nothing close to that.

Whenever I do the loomis heads and box studies, I try to really work on my line quality. I'm using the conte 1710b and I'm sure it will take me the better part of my life to get a hang of it. It's so easy to lay down a thick stroke when you want a thin one.

That's all for today! Tomorrow I will have more loomis and more boxes.

One thing I do want to start doing is just sketching for fun in my sketchbook...I have a lot of trouble letting loose and just enjoying myself, I always think if I'm not practicing purposefully I'm not improving but thoughts like that I feel could lead to burn out and just not enjoying the craft.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  123.3 KBName:  02.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  115.7 KBName:  03.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  75.8 KB

Thanks
    Hey Eugene, nice start! Check out Proko on YouTube and drawabox.com, those are great free resources to study from.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to All For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by All View Post
    Hey Eugene, nice start! Check out Proko on YouTube and drawabox.com, those are great free resources to study from.
    Hey! I appreciate you checking out the sketchbook. I really enjoy Proko's videos. I actually bought his portrait drawing course so he's a huge part of why I'm doing a lot of loomis heads. I've also been hearing about drawabox lately so I might use it in conjunction with How to Draw by Scott Robertson which just came in the mail today .

Thanks
    So I didn't get much time to practice today. I had quite a busy day and only had an hour or so just now to do a little something. I spent about 30 minutes warming up with some loomis heads and some free hand ellipses and lines.

I then decided to do some skull studies from Michael Hampton's figure drawing book. I rushed these, took about 3 - 5 minutes each. I will take my time on the next ones.

I have a life drawing session tomorrow so i'll post up what I manage to draw. I will be trying to focus on structure. If you guys have any advice for gesture let me know.

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  97.4 KBName:  05.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  75.5 KB

Thanks
    So today I went to life drawing, I stayed for 3 poses, each pose was about 20 minutes.

Pose 1 I tried to focus on structure, unfortunately my anatomy and structure knowledge is practically nil so I couldn't really flesh out the drawing. I decided to then sketch some people around me while I waited for the pose to finish.

Pose 2 had her back towards me. Again without any anatomy knowledge I didn't feel like I could do much. The shadows are so subtle I don't even know what I'm looking at half the time. Thankfully someone from the session gave me an anatomy book so I'll be doing some studies from there.

Pose 3 I tried to focus more on the face, again I don't know much structure or anatomy knowledge so this time I decided to do the minimal amount of shading I could really see from the model.

I've been feeling pretty discouraged every drawing session. Does this get better? I know I'm not practicing efficiently if at all.

I suppose though for this first year I'm just trying to get the daily habit of drawing down. Man this is tough.

Well, t'ill tomorrow!

Name:  pose_6.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  104.1 KBName:  pose_7.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  106.3 KBName:  pose_8.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  94.3 KB

Thanks
    You're doing quite well for someone who only started in January! Nice curves with your gestures. You're doing well with your life drawing, but remember to pay attention to your proportions. The woman's head is far to big for her form, either than or you make the body bigger.
    The faces on the side are good, keep going.
    Last edited by Dominicque1; May 31st, 2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Come say Hi! I could always use a boost.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...r-s-sketchbook

Thanks
    I second @Dominicque1 comment.

I'd also add that you don't need too much knowledge of anatomy to do life drawings. You need observational skills and measurement skills. Maybe you can focus on that. Try and draw what you see at this stage, and not rebuild the whole thing on your mind and try to pass that to the paper.

Another advice would be to draw a sketch of the whole figure first and then proceed to details.

Here's a video that you might find useful:

Keep up!

( Click to show/hide )
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicque1 View Post
    Fake quote to simulate mention system ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicque1 View Post
    You're doing quite well for someone who only started in January! Nice curves with your gestures. You're doing well with your life drawing, but remember to pay attention to your proportions. The woman's head is far to big for her form, either than or you make the body bigger.
    The faces on the side are good, keep going.
    Hey! Thanks for the comment, I have a bad habit of drawing the faces too large. I'm not sure how to fix that exactly, maybe just being more aware of it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    I second @Dominicque1 comment.

I'd also add that you don't need too much knowledge of anatomy to do life drawings. You need observational skills and measurement skills. Maybe you can focus on that. Try and draw what you see at this stage, and not rebuild the whole thing on your mind and try to pass that to the paper.

Another advice would be to draw a sketch of the whole figure first and then proceed to details.

Here's a video that you might find useful:

Keep up!
    Thanks for the reply! I will check out the video.

I do think that getting the outline in is really good advice, the only downside is I try to have a completed drawing in 20 minutes which is a completely unreasonable amount of time to do a finished drawing. Especially a figure.