Thread: Mountain Troll`

Thanks

Smile Mountain Troll`

Hello, so I have gotten to a place with this piece where I am satisfied. That being said, I would love any feedback on it, and especially any ways that I could improve or push the piece. Thank you so much for your time, have a great dayName:  mountain troll SMALL.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  193.6 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's framed ok.. but sort of boring and bland. Not bad, but ok.

I don't get a clear view of the troll.. the trees are all vertical and leafless.. the stream sort of turned into a puddle. Hmm.

Also I am not certain where that troll is standing? Like in a hole? Given the size of the trees near by, and then the size of the troll, I am not certain where dude is milling around in.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Hmmm yeah I agree with modi. Your forest looks kind of artificial. It’s too perfect. In old forests trees have to start bending to reach light that’s blocked by the shadow of taller trees. Also when old trees fall down they leave behind big dips in the ground where their root balls were, so a wavy landscape is a good indicator of an old forest. Did the troll clear a perfectly straight pathway?

This article about ecological succession might give you some ideas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_succession
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That being said, I think you did a really good job with atmospheric perspective
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Great article on ecological succession"Octopuscats" nice one, I enjoyed looking through that. Articles on landscape archaeology are interesting too.

Ilya
    yep atmosphere is great, and if you are going for desolation due to the troll/ monster/ thing then yeah stripped trees is a good idea, but knock a few down and snap bits off.
    if it just moved in from elsewhere then yeah, where did the foliage and undergrowth go to?

The other thing that I keep banging on about in here is the narrative! what is this image telling me and so far mate its not that much, play with it some more throw a little Larry Elmore in there.
    Name:  elmore.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  13.1 KB
    Name:  ab7e8f6193e535733219ce35949eb284.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  71.4 KB

In the first one there is more drama and more interest, there are footprints and evidence of a fight.
    In the second there is the anticipation of the coming action!
    These things are not in your image yet, we just have the big brooding figure of a monster/ thing with glowing eyes, give me more.
    Frighten me, make me worried for people escaping from it or daft buggers sacrificing some poor buxom wench to it!

I hope this ramble helps a little.
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm guessing you're a big Jakub Rozalski fan?

Name:  First-Jump_Web.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  145.5 KBName:  images.jpeg
Views: 726
Size:  7.6 KBName:  f9814b044905f05954374cf8ec759a5e.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  48.2 KBName:  January-1863_Web.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  213.7 KB

Thanks
    I like it. Though, I think you divide your space too evenly. Divide less evenly. Also think about the mood your trying to evoke. Is it peaceful? How many sharp sticks do you need in a peaceful scene? Not many I'd wager. Use vines and other soft shapes to lead the eye and re-enforce the peaceful feeling. Also, I personally feel like the giant needs to be bigger. So I poked his head through a cloud.
    Name:  e.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  450.1 KB

Edit: no the squirrel is not rapid-fire pooping. That was supposed to be some weird moss that I have noticed that grows on the trees around my home. That's just what happens when you hurry I guess.
    Last edited by David_a_ray; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:55 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Modi, nice to hear from you. Yeah, I agree it definitely feels stagnant. Ideally, the troll would have just looked like he was far away, possibly down the mountain that I attempted to hint at in the area between the troll and the left patch of trees, but I suppose it didn't really come through. The trees definitely need some leaves or something. Thanks so much for your time and advice.

Thanks
    -Octopuscats- Thank you so much for going the extra mile and giving me some good research to dig through, Much appreciated. Also yeah in hindsight, that forest looks pretty strange in terms of how "Perfectly" the trees are places, definitely needs variation

Lightship69- I wasn't going for desolation due to the troll, but I now totally see why that would be something that a viewer would see. I originally wanted a figure or vehicle in the clearing, as it was supposed to be an old dirt road path, such as you might find in areas that have been placer mined. With all the people mentioning a lack of visual story, I think I will revisit the idea of a car or something.

Chris Fraser- You got me haha. I am such a huge fan of his work, just gets me every time.

David_a_ray- I hadn't even considered the concept of spacing before this! Thank you so much, this is a great way to add motion and randomness to a picture. Also, I like the idea of the vines, but in the particular place I had in mind (north Canada) they just wouldn't be applicable, but I agree that I should really cut down on those sharp edges. Ps I love the squirrel.

A sincere thank you to all you guys for taking some time out of your day, much appreciated.