Thanks

Lazy eye and drawing from life?

Hello, I have a lazy eye, which means that both my eyes don't focus on the same spot. Basically I don't have stereoscopic vision and proper depth perception. People keep telling me about the benefits of drawing from life, but as I view the world more like a camera, I wonder if it makes such a big difference if I draw from photos or video? I will of course draw from life all I can, so I can observe the object from several points of view, get correct lighting etc. But is drawing from photos and videos all that bad when I see a flat image anyways?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,039 Posts
    You will be able to infer some depth from small head movements, and you still need to freeze and frame the scene. When drawing from photo's, some artistic decisions have already been made by the photographer. To learn the whole package of artistic skills, draw from life.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You get better colors and values from life and you can always be sure they are "right". For farther away objects the image in both eyes is almost the same. But people still prefer to draw landscapes from life.

Our eyes are separated by about 65 mm so the world seen by each retina is rather different. The difference is great for objects nearby, but not helpful for distant things, like trees, and other landscapes. Stereoscopic vision stops at about 200 meters, because the difference between the two retinal images is then unreadable. The 200 meter limit can be measured, but it is not a practical concept. In standard stereoscopic photography useful 3D stops way short of 200 meters, but it can be extended far beyond unaided human ability by using hyper-stereoscopic photography.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...sion_end_30ft/
    And from the philosophical point of view, when you draw from life, the image you get is a better (best) representation of your perception of the object out there without any loss of information (which you get when another observer (camera) is introduced) over time (which is also more interesting). But since you are probably not going to give up art if you have no chance to draw whatever you need from life, you should choose to draw from life whenever you can, and whenever you can't draw from photos.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to onemax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some artistic skills can be also learned from old masters as well from drawing from life like composition, colors. Drawing from photos, you need to think about how do you push it away from what photo for example photos tend to have detail everywhere which beginners tend to copy like crazy until it looks "dead" ( I have done it in past), this is where life drawing, you select where you put details as you don't see everything as once and old masters have someone with knowledge presented same thing for you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post: