Thanks

How to get rid of bad habits ?

Most of the time when I study the fundamentals I fall back into my personal, bad habits again...often not realising it and I spend hours of drawing, not thinking and observing what I'm drawing. This really sucks because mistake + mistake = even more mistakes which I than have to ''reobserve'' again. Peace
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    the Ink

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Slow down. Do simple still lifes.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Slow down. Do simple still lifes.
    Thx eeza, I think it doesn't matter if I observe still lives or the human figure...the process should be the same I guess. For me the human figure has so much more excitement to offer and has all the forms and shapes you also can find in ''simple'' still lives (even in the abstraction). I think the main point must be having interest and motivation. I think you can cover all the fundamentals with any theme you are interested in...correct me if I'm wrong and I apologise for my englishhhh. Peace
    the Ink

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkognito View Post
    Thx eeza, I think it doesn't matter if I observe still lives or the human figure...the process should be the same I guess.
    The process is the same, but it is best learnt through a simple still life. Do a single egg in a shadow box, with a single light source, use a forgiving medium like charcoal on paper, and take whatever time it takes to get it right.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Agree with eezacque, do study as he told then apply it to this piece that you are working on.
    This might help

Thanks
    God I hate the round brush. It leaves such hideous jagged streaks in everyone's work. It's a distinct aspect of digital painting that I really think we should address at some point. Maybe not today though.

Really my only beef is here:
    Name:  fixdis.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  188.4 KB
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    God I hate the round brush. It leaves such hideous jagged streaks in everyone's work. It's a distinct aspect of digital painting that I really think we should address at some point.
    Care to elaborate? I don't see how the round brush leaves hideous jagged streaks in everyone's work. Yes, you can use it the wrong way, but there is nothing inherently wrong with it.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Hah, of course. Didn't mean to step on any toes if I did.
    Name:  smooth.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  101.3 KB

Edit: damn. I should have made the arrows correspond to each statement and value more clearly. Sorry about that. Each one is in sequence matching the statements from top to bottom.
    Last edited by David_a_ray; May 20th, 2018 at 11:13 AM.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This has nothing to do with the hard round brush: it is a consequence of setting the spacing parameter of the brush too high. This is bad for any other brush.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    I wish I would have had you around when I was first learning Photoshop then. I never could get it to work right. That does make sense though.

I wish to amend my prior outburst to reflect my newfound knowledge. I hate when the spacing parameter of the brush is too high.

Edit: Well, hot dog! I've been hating Photoshop's brush for years. Damn if that ain't just as pretty as anything.
    Name:  DudeHolyCrap.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  35.0 KB
    Last edited by David_a_ray; May 20th, 2018 at 12:05 PM.
    Sketchbook

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hm, spend some more time on this peace...always welcome for feedback...Peace yo'
    the Ink

Thanks
    I wish I would have had you around when I was first learning Photoshop then. I never could get it to work right. That does make sense though.
    Be aware that a low spacings settings comes at a price: it demands more performance from your computer. In practice you may want to set the spacing as high as possible, while maintaining smoothness.

Sketchbook Blog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Another study...don't know yet how far I will take this....maybe a bit more...peace
    the Ink

Thanks
    You mentioned on the thread title some "bad habits" but never cared to specify them.

I'm definitely not the most skilled artist here, but I don't see anything horribly wrong with the two pictures you posted. The round brush on the right side of the hulk pic is a bit distracting, but it doesn't ruin the piece. Not by a long shot.

Would you mind to comment a bit more on which bad habits you're trying to get rid of?
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    You mentioned on the thread title some "bad habits" but never cared to specify them.

I'm definitely not the most skilled artist here, but I don't see anything horribly wrong with the two pictures you posted. The round brush on the right side of the hulk pic is a bit distracting, but it doesn't ruin the piece. Not by a long shot.

Would you mind to comment a bit more on which bad habits you're trying to get rid of?
    Sure,

one major thing to me is, observation and understanding in what I'm drawing...I often start to draw with the intention to study (form, anatomy, shapes etc...) and after a couple of strokes I find my self not concentrating on my subject anymore. This often ends up drawing mindless without any deeper connection to make progress. I will try to study more from life (like eeza mentioned) to make my brain go *swoopidoo*. I feel like making no progress at all at the moment and drifting away from success. Peace and I apologise for my tremendous English.
    the Ink

Thanks
    Meditation can help you train your mind to stay focused. It's basically just practicing maintaining focus by noticing when you drift away and bringing you attention back to whatever you're focusing on. I find that if I spend 20 minutes meditating before I draw, I'm more in the zone because I've essentially warmed my brain up first.
    Sketchbook

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Meditation can help you train your mind to stay focused. It's basically just practicing maintaining focus by noticing when you drift away and bringing you attention back to whatever you're focusing on. I find that if I spend 20 minutes meditating before I draw, I'm more in the zone because I've essentially warmed my brain up first.
    Yeah, perhaps I should give it a try...sounds interesting. I'm kind of a mindjumping person who can not stay focused on one subject for a very long time.
    the Ink

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkognito View Post
    Sure,

one major thing to me is, observation and understanding in what I'm drawing...I often start to draw with the intention to study (form, anatomy, shapes etc...) and after a couple of strokes I find my self not concentrating on my subject anymore. This often ends up drawing mindless without any deeper connection to make progress. I will try to study more from life (like eeza mentioned) to make my brain go *swoopidoo*. I feel like making no progress at all at the moment and drifting away from success. Peace and I apologise for my tremendous English.
    As you describe, it seems more like a problem with attention and focus than a problem with your drawing skills per se.

Or maybe you're diving right into detail before blocking in the big shapes first. I tend to do that a lot.

Try and notice at what time you usually drift off from the observation and wander into your little drawing zone. That will probably put more light into the underlying issue.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯