Thanks

Leycrows's Sketchbook

Hey everybody,
    Just joined the community and figured creating a thread here would be fun and help me track my progress too, so hopefully I'll be consistent about uploading as I want to keep improving at art. I've enjoyed drawing but never started taking it seriously until about year ago. My specific goals as an artist are to; Digitally: Improve my understanding and use of color and blending, learn how to effectively use textured brushes, and attain a concept artist level of skill where I can create convincing environments/characters from my imagination. I'd also like to get to a more painterly style of digital art, but all of that will come later. My more finished works will be mostly digital Traditionally: Improve my use of line weight and control of value in my pencil drawings, and improve my understanding of anatomy and constructing figures as well as creating convincing 3D forms on paper. I'll use traditional more for sketches and practices rather than completed works probably. Updating my cover photo with the sketch below
    Name:  IMG_5739.JPG
Views: 1214
Size:  243.3 KB

A skeleton sketch and a couple 4-5 min gesture drawings are attached to start things off. (Sorry one of them is rotated, I couldn't get it to orient correctly for the life of me)Name:  Skeleton.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  39.4 KBName:  IMG_5705.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  102.4 KBName:  IMG_5706.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  90.0 KB
    Last edited by leycrows; May 22nd, 2018 at 02:55 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,088 Times in 929 Posts
    Welcome aboard leycrows! It's great that you have clear goals, this will help you to spend your time effectively. I'll wait to see more of your work before giving feedback.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm pretty happy with how this turned out! It was my first time digitally painting without leaving the linework in the final piece and I think it went well overall. I think I did well getting the red of her cheeks and ears. Some things I'm not happy with:some of the shading looks dirty to me (especially under the chin and the nose), and trying to render the hair was a pretty big failure, so I'll have to work out a way to do hair more convincingly eventually. The coat is ok but I'm forgiving some of its inaccuracies because it wasn't what I was really focusing on in this piece. If anyone has tips on any of the things I mentioned feel free to let me know or critique it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I wish I could upload my nicer quality png files to this but they're too big so I have to settle for the lesser quality jpegs that fit the size restrictions instead

Thanks
    Good start, I think face of last portrait could use bit more value separation as its bit flat. Squint or/and turn image to black and white

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you're right, I feel like that could be improved as I work on getting a nicer and more believable color to my shading.Then I could more confidently and subtly apply it to other areas of the face than just the most noticeable places like under the chin.

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_5751.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  394.3 KBName:  IMG_5739.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  243.3 KBName:  IMG_5738.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  268.3 KBName:  IMG_5752.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  177.1 KBName:  IMG_5754.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  167.6 KBName:  IMG_5753.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  186.3 KBSketch dump, some random portraits from the internet, Atreus from God of War, and a couple of head studies (sorry two of them are rotated, I couldn't figure out how to fix them again)