Thanks

Any critique welcome

Hey everybody, I just recently joined because I'm interested in getting better as an artist and figured joining a community would help in keeping me motivated and learning from others. I know I should probably try and critique others work first but I'm impatient so I'm going to post this now anyways and just promise that I'll give my own opinions and advice (the best I can anyways) in the future. I've only been drawing digitally for 5 or so months but have been binge watching tutorials and asking other art friends for help. This is my most recent "finished" work, so if there's any advice anyone can give me in terms of attaining realism or color choice or anything else I'm all ears. I hope to eventually move away from having line art in my drawings and have a more "painterly style" in the future, so if any advice can be given in with that sort of thing I'd love to hear it!

(Sorry the picture is so big, I'm still not good with file sizes and stuff and after 30 minutes of trying to edit it to make it smaller I've given up. If you zoom out on your desktop you should be able to see the whole thing, sorry again.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    id say try and get out of your line art style immediately, as for realism, study the facial anatomy of a male and female face. i cant really tell if yours is a man or a woman but id go with woman. because of the hairstyle and eyebrow. the nose is too masculin and the chin is pretty big.

learn the differences between hard and soft edges, tha way you wont have to depend on lines anymore, of course you can still sketch before painting.

for anatomy tips. there are tons of youtube videos of the facial features from the front and there are special techniques as well, like the andrew loomis method or the reilly method. work with landmarks to see the relationships of the facial features. or maybe just focus on one feature at a time and work your way through. as for color, id start with grayscale painting, because the most important thing in painting realistic is understanding values and the planes of the shape.

im a beginner myself but i hope this helped a bit happy painting

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shozi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks! I haven't tried the grey scale thing so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the anatomy stuff too, so far I bought Figure Drawing Design and Invention by Micheal Hampton a week or two ago which has been my sole anatomy guide, so I'll look for some videos too.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, yeah so far all I've been using for anatomy was a book I bought a little while ago so I'll start looking at videos and stuff too. And I'll do the grey scale thing, too, I haven't done that before.

Thanks
    If you are working digitally there are techniques to use that preserve the lineart, but use it as a foundation for painting. Lineart is a very useful tool, don't lose the skill to describe form with line. Sorry Shozi, but I completely disagree with you. Ateliers will teach you to draw well before you're even allowed to pick up a brush.

I would look for technique tutorials online, there are many, but to get you started, work in layers, and experiment with the "lock transparency" function. This is assuming you're working in Photoshop. Good luck!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Im cool with that, of course everybody has their own way of improving, but since leycrow wants to go into the realm of realism its important to know that there are no lines in the real world, only edges and when we draw with a pencil or line art tool, we have to under stand that the "lines" are only on places where the light cant hit, like the eyelid crease, the nostrils and the mouth corners. im not saying line art is useless, its an awesome tool for stylized art and cell shading stuff, but you know what they say, its important to know the rules before breaking them.

ive picked some videos which helped me understand the planes of the face and how to blend properly. also i encourage you to check out ctrlpaint.com he has some awesome beginner lessons for understanding edgework

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC3OxonJcXQ&t=0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YXTlF4hzaE&t=0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEjKKiNjvBM

(in this one shes not using lines at all but its a very usefull video for understanding the structure of the eye, you should check out her other videos as well ^^)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHqzrWkhIVg&t=0

if you have any troubles feel free to post again!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shozi For This Useful Post: