Thanks

My 1st digital weapon concept - need your opinions

Hello, guys! This is my 1st post here and my 1st concept which I made totally in digital. Tasked myself with the aim to create alternative assault rifle for pilots from Titanfall universe.
    Need your opinions about design and quality of art - what can I improve here?
    Name:  Assauly-rifle-FORUM.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  111.4 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice work in progress, but the proportions need adjusting.
    As is it's very front heavy and a bit too wide, the stock is too small relative to the rest, not really sure how anyone would be able to hold that.
    The trigger guard is too chunky and the pistol grip is too short.
    Front sights perspective is asymmetrical, the back shouldn't be taller than the closest.
    Between the muzzle shape, blocky magazine and blue glowing part, it's not clear what type of ammo it uses.

Thanks
    Thank you for detailed answer. Very interesting notice about type of ammo - should think about this moment as a designer with my future works. And yeah, I should be more to some perspective details.

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello, Benedict. Yes, I want to reach professional level in concept art. Do you mean it`s more effective to create renders of vehicles and other technological stuff in 3D? Is it faster or any other reason? And should I jump right into 3D soft when I`m on my beginner stage in learning to draw?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzorov View Post
    Do you mean it`s more effective to create renders of vehicles and other technological stuff in 3D? Is it faster or any other reason?
    If we're talking about a fully coloured, finalized rendering of the concept like you've done here, yes, absolutely.
    Let me link you to to a weapon concept of mine here, not because it's so great but because it's somewhat similar to what you were trying to do (albeit not sci-fi): https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EPEGK - that's about 1 day of modelling and half a day for texturing and rendering. Minimal overpainting, just volour-grading and compositing in Photoshop. It's not that it is impossible to create such an image "by hand" as it were, without 3D, but it's hard to match that level of detail, precision and truth to life in terms of colour and light. Also, let's assume the client wants you to change the porportions of the gun, wants to change some elements of the gun, or just wants a different light source and a different point of view. You'll have to redo the entire image if you've painted it by hand. I take the model, adjust it (or just move the camera) and hit render, done. That's the beauty of 3D and it really, really shines with subject matter like this (man-made objects, particularily if they're seen in isolation like in a concept).

That being said, there is of course a place and a time for pure drawing when it comes to concepts like this. Thumbnails, initial sketches, experiments. That's where 2D is better suited than 3D, because no matter how quick you are in 3D, the pencil is quicker. However, I would limit the work you do in 2D for concepts like this to side views/ maybe front views. No involved perspective, no 3/4 views- because those you'll have to construct if they are to look presentable, and that takes too much time and isn't flexible enough.

And should I jump right into 3D soft when I`m on my beginner stage in learning to draw?
    I probably should have been more explicit in my comment, sorry. The answer is probably no. As a concept designer, 2D fundamentals are still the most important skills to have. You can probably do without many of the more complex construction techniques that Robertson teaches in "How to Draw", but you need to be fairly proficient in perspective nevertheless. It's just when you have the fundemantals in place and you're looking to give your work that final push towards professional results that you need to start using 3D. As to when it makes sense to start learning 3D, that's a difficult question. Don't think of it like 3D comes "after" your 2D skillset. You're never done with learning 2D anyways. But 2D findamentals are more important for sure.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hmm Sadly for my money it is too close to the "Aliens" Pulse Rifle for it to be a Concept, it is really more a copy.
    Name:  aliens-pulse-rifle.jpeg
Views: 1081
Size:  16.8 KB
    Call that one a practice and have a look at some other concepts and weapon types and see what you can put together.
    Have a look and the "District 9 weapons concepts" in a google image search.
    or "Modern Bullpup Rifles" for inspiration, you can come up with all sorts of things, and take your concepts way further.

Start out with shapes and silhouettes until you get several shapes you like then render some up, it really works well as a system and gets you way better results!
    Name:  c087b17494b09a1566a209723b654333--sci-fi-weapons-concept-weapons.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  61.2 KB
    Name:  guns.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  51.1 KB
    when you get one you like render it onto a person silhouette or a rendered hand to see if it works and looks good.
    you will have way more fun and get good industry style experience too
    I hope this helps.
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks for such a detailed answer. Sure in several months I`ll start learning 3D programms. Your notice about ability to put changes from clients quickly is the main reason why I`d like to work with 3D software. And now my main goal is to get basic digital art skills in 2D.

Thanks
    Start out with shapes and silhouettes until you get several shapes you like then render some up, it really works well as a system and gets you way better results!

Yeah, man. I tried several concepts beforing rendering. But I thought in this part of forum I should just add only final result without process. And thank you for interesting stuff about District 9 - I`ll check.

Thanks
    You should check halo weapon concepts as well, District 9 used to be Halo movie before it died

Thanks
    Hiya Mate!
    Yeah as this is the critique thread section of the forum it is best to give "all" the information you can on what you want to do (final result you want) and what you did to get there (all the concepts).
    Once we know what you are after doing then we can all get on the same page and help you!

I personally wouldn't be too worried about 3D programs just yet, yes they are important and a big part of the Industry, but in the initial stages of concepting and brainstorming it is pencils and paper all the way!
    Only when there are good solid concepts on the board do you render stuff up in 3D its not that quick to do, nor make any changes if the boss wants some and if you are on a studio budget that matters a lot!

If you are going down the road of Concept art then I have to recommend this to you! it isn't cheap but it is worth every penny
    https://markmolnar.bigcartel.com/pro...ind-the-pixels

Its how it is done in the industry by Mark and a whole lot of other Industry giants, and a lot of them started here in the forum too.

Best wishes and good luck with the work

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightship69 View Post
    but in the initial stages of concepting and brainstorming it is pencils and paper all the way!
    Not all the way (and certainly not pencil and paper, hardly anyone working remote does any traditional sketching). There are use cases for concepting directly in 3D. Have a look at Jama Jurabaev's learnsquared class on 3D Coat, he's a big proponent of that approach.

Thanks
    ha ha ha ha yep I thought this might rear up and bite me!

Thanks Benedikt sorry if you thought I was raining on your parade that wasn't my intention at all, my comments were aimed at helping Uzarov with his skill base!
    ok I will rephrase my statements and quantify.
    My personal experience leads me to understand that in the initial stages of concepting and brainstorming it is not just pencils and paper all the way sometimes it is whatever people at the meeting feel comfortable with to demonstrate an idea.

But in most meetings I personally have had it has been discussions around sketches and sometimes Pro-create on an I-pads, to start things moving and decide what is possible with a look or feel of a, character weapon type or whatever. Working remotely yes you can have the time and luxury to get things done in advance of a meeting and this includes 3D.
    But I will stress again that "so far" all my experience of starting concepts and getting the feel of timelines, stories etc. it is basic sketches on varying platforms from paper to screens all the way.

Once the direction has been finalised/ or decided upon then the more detailed work comes in and more solid concepts hashed out. Time is literally money on these things and speed is of the essence

But!! the point I am aiming at here is that roughing concepts out takes a degree of artistic knowledge and skill! if you miss out the fundamentals and go straight into 3D you miss a big part of your education.
    That's kind of where I was gently aiming the dude! Don't skip the fundamentals because you come back to basics again and again.

Thanks again and sorry if I confused anyone.

Thanks
    I was under the impression that you were making blanket statements about the industry at large, sorry for the misunderstanding. I do agree that working on site and with non-art personell such as producers or game designers, sketching with pencil on paper certainly is more than viable.