Thread: Eye study

Thanks

Eye study

the pupils are too big, i realized that after "finishing" the study but didnt bother changing since i sat on it for over 2h and wanted to do something else now. every kind of criticism is welcomed, be as harsh as you can haha i really want to improve.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Overall it is a nice basic contour, however you need to push the darks and lights more. You also have the eye lines way too narrow, the lines are wider with a bit more softness to them, especially on the bottom edge. I did a paint over and my own quick drawing. I began with soft edges and tones and not worry about hard edges till near the end. It isn't as accurate in placement as yours but it gets a strong look in short time. I tend to work with off blacks and lights at first at low opacity.

Often times there
    ( Click to show/hide )

Name:  shozi-eyes.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  319.8 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 937 Posts
    Part of the problem is you started with a bad photo, where light and shadow is not effectively used to model the form. You copied that problem.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    yeah i figured that after a while that the reference wasnt the best choice. ill try and choose something better next time

and yes, thanks AnneHijme for your efforts! I really appreciate you taking the time and redrawing the photo i probably zoomed in to much while drawing and didnt see the bigger picture, which is why my lines are too narrow and you´re right about the values. i was just too cautious to go darker/lighter. ill figure it out better next time thank you!

Thanks
    I'd like to recommend that you ask for "constructive" rather than "harsh" criticism. No need to be a masochist in artistic practice. We're all learning

First, the subject you've chosen is unique because of the skin quality. He looks pretty oily and a little pebbly. There are several muscles being activated in the head that define his expression. His eyebrows, while wide, are not especially dense with hair, we can see almost every separate hair as they grow over the brow. He is looking up, just a tad. In your drawing, he is looking straight. In your reference, we see the side edges of his forehead, in your drawing, it is flat and continues to the edge of the canvas space.

If you choose to continue working on this study, use more layers to introduce the textural details that define your reference. Play around with a bunch of different brushes to see what you can achieve. Experiment with the color temperature of your greys. You're currently working in a very cool color family, while your reference is warmer, almost sepia.

Best of luck!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    Go in front of mirror and do same kind of study or multiple studies, try to use one light as its easier, because photos doesn't give form as life studies does and use pencil for this.

Thanks
    thank you all for your awesome tips! I really appreciate all the help and yeah with being harsh i meant beeing honest haha

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shozi View Post
    being harsh i meant beeing honest haha
    Thats what we do, this isn't deviantart

Thanks
    1) You need to push the darks more.
    2) You also need a better understanding of how light describes the form as planes recede from light so you can better perceive it and invent it. Your face looks a little too flat.
    3) If you look at your image up close it's hard to notice mistakes in macro-lighting so it's good to do a lot of zooming out.
    4) Using too small a brush makes things uglier on average.
    Name:  Untitled-1.gif
Views: 300
Size:  435.3 KBName:  Untitled-1.png
Views: 300
Size:  146.4 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to onemax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onemax View Post
    1) You need to push the darks more.
    2) You also need a better understanding of how light describes the form as planes recede from light so you can better perceive it and invent it. Your face looks a little too flat.
    3) If you look at your image up close it's hard to notice mistakes in macro-lighting so it's good to do a lot of zooming out.
    4) Using too small a brush makes things uglier on average.
    Thanks for the paint over! The difference is super clear now