Thanks

question about cylinders

I started recently studying cylinders in Perspective Made Easy. The book says that when we see a circle in Perspective it will not look like a circle but as an ellipse. And then it says some rules for that like long axis, short axis etc. Now, what if the initial shape is an ellipse instead of a circle? How it's going to look if drawn at Perspective? And do all those rules of the long and short axis, the central line of cylinder etc. apply exactly the same?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 935 Posts
    Don't bother. Drawing circles in perspective is complicated enough, and there are not that much rules, other than rules of thumb, for determining the long and short axis. For anything more complicated, use a 3D program.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    You can draw a square and draw a circle inside of it, be it in perspective or not. If you draw a rectangle and inside the corresponding ellipse, by logic, you should be able to place that in perspective. It's just less straightforward.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to All For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Don't bother. Drawing circles in perspective is complicated enough, and there are not that much rules, other than rules of thumb, for determining the long and short axis. For anything more complicated, use a 3D program.
    If I want to understand those complicated rules for the circle you say is there any place(maybe videos) that teach you how to do it? Thanks for answering

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DribP View Post
    IfI want to understand those complicated rules for the circle you sayis there any place(maybe videos) that teach you how to do it? Thanksfor answering

I think ScottRobertson's book is good for practical purposes. For a deepunderstanding, bridging the gap between art and mathematics, Isuggest you take a look at https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html#index. Checkout the section https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/perspect5.html under 'projecting the circle'.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Robertson will give you all the necessary theoretical knowledge (and some). As eezacque has stated, the practical relevance of that knowledge is minor. Either I'm going to draw/paint an object from life that poses that kind of problem, then I'll use observation/measurements, or I have to create such an object from imagination, in that case I'll blockmesh or even model in detail, depending on the situation.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    I think ScottRobertson's book is good for practical purposes. For a deepunderstanding, bridging the gap between art and mathematics, Isuggest you take a look at https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html#index. Checkout the section https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/perspect5.html under 'projecting the circle'.
    Thanks!
    I think I'd rather spend my time focusing on other things for improving my drawing skills as you advised me in the previous comment for not focusing on this with the circle and as the other guy in the comments said as well.