Thanks

Branta's art log

Hello! I'm Branta and I've been practising art for a while. I've never put much of my works online because I always felt they weren't good enough to show, I felt very insecure about it. But I've come to a point where I feel I need more motivation, my art has not improved lately and that's something I want to change. I think having a sketchbook here will help me see my process in the future, I'm also very open for critique if anyone wants to give it. I just want to learn more and get better. My goal is to become a freelance (fantasy) artist, and to make a lot of original epic paintings I can be proud of when I'm old lady xD

here's some full paintings I did last month (I'm cringing while I upload);

Name:  rageoversanity.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  theducks.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  81.9 KB

So right now I'm deserting the paintings after a few days of work, I stop myself from nit picking or rendering too much so I can just take what I learn from the piece and use the experience in the next one. I'm not sure if that's a good thing but I remember reading somewhere that artists improve faster if they make many works opposed to making a few very detailed pieces. So that's the road I'm taking for a while.

Here's some studies I've done the last few days (portrait from a tv show, Riverdale, and the others are real life studies) ;

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  36.1 KB Name:  2.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  50.5 KBName:  redcandle.png
Views: 637
Size:  481.1 KB
    Last edited by Branta; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:04 PM. Reason: Delete an image I hadn't met to upload

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forums, Branta!

You have some good skills already.

Perspective seems nice. Anatomy is convincing. Composition looks good enough.

If I'm to suggest you anything is to work a bit your lighting. Looks a bit too diffuse and I can't really see any reflected light from surrounding surfaces.
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    Thank you!
    That's a great suggestion. It's really bad but I've been so focused on getting everything 'right' that reflected light and strong shadows completely slipped my mind.. Maybe that's why my paintings look so dull and lifeless. I'm going to work on it. Thank you very much for the help~

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_6278.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  166.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_6279.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  169.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_6280.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  166.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_6281.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  155.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6282.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  152.9 KB

Some studies from my sketchbook. I've been studying Adrew loomis' figure drawing book, and I'm loving that so far. Also doing the bean thing because I feel like my characters look too rigid. Bats are awesome btw. I love those wings~

Thanks
    I've been working on this painting;
    Name:  totheraces.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  70.5 KB

Not sure how I feel about it, I guess not too happy but it is fun to work on. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and paint the character more muscular, since I tend to go for thin/feminine characters even if they're male. Also trying to experiment with more expressive faces, and different shapes of faces.

And practising anatomy. I'm getting to the part of loomis' book where he simplifies anatomy into blocks. I copied his drawings first then did some of my own but I don't seem to get it, still trying to figure this out.

.Name:  IMG_6284.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  197.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_6285.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  191.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6286.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  180.6 KB

Thanks
    I feel like I'm not going into the right direction with my art, or just not in the direction I want to go in. So I thought maybe it would help to make a sheet full of paintings I admire. E. Blair Leighthon's style is what I would love to aim for, as in lighting, value and storytelling. Also the realism, and the amazing detail painted with calculated brushstrokes is what I love. Rubens is an old time favourite of mine, his characters are really expressive and their anatomy is never rigid, poses always adding to the drama and the storytelling. Waterhouse, and Godward create the type of environments I like. And Solomon's paintings have a mystic, slightly creepy feel to it, I like how he creates that atmoshpere. Just dissecting everything I'd like to see in my own paintings one day. That's definitely a long road ahead...
    Name:  motivationinspirationsheet.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  163.8 KB

And some studies. I think I'm starting to grasp the blocks/mannequin approach, starting. I drew some from reference and some from imagination.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  88.8 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  87.2 KB
    Name:  4.png
Views: 368
Size:  413.5 KB

Thanks
    Some studies from old masters. First one Waterhouse, second Godward, third Rubens. I'm actually proud of how the Rubens studie turned out. I think I learned a lot from going through the process.

Name:  4ladyofshalottWaterhousestudie.png
Views: 276
Size:  369.7 KB

Name:  5studiegodward.png
Views: 276
Size:  204.2 KB

Name:  6Rubensstudies.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  55.8 KB

I also finished this illustration. Maybe not finished but this is as far as I'll go with it. I think I'm just going to take notes of all the mistakes I made and move on. I need to figure out how to get rid of this 'dusty' look I always manage to create xD I think it's about values.. maybe? (Though I did want to set them in a dry type of world, so maybe it works out, but I also think it's too dusty...)

Name:  totheraces.png
Views: 271
Size:  477.3 KB

Thanks
    Another study of a different Ganymede painting also by Rubens.

Name:  7RubensStudie2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  62.9 KB

Pencil studies of Ruben's figures in his paintings. I love how elegant and fluent his poses are and hope to pick some of that up.

Name:  5.png
Views: 81
Size:  397.2 KB Name:  6.png
Views: 80
Size:  315.2 KB

And some anatomy and portrait practise;

Name:  7.png
Size:  381.6 KB Name:  8.png
Size:  464.9 KB

Name:  9.png
Size:  480.7 KB Name:  10.png
Size:  425.8 KB

Name:  11.png
Size:  431.7 KB Name:  12.png
Size:  374.4 KB

And then I painted this, but it's such a mess. Composition is just not coherent or grouped enough, it kinda feels like a bad photograph? Yet I worked so long and hard on it I can't hate it, I definitely practised problem solving with this one but I just couldn't make it work.

Name:  4flowerforasoldier.jpg
Size:  73.0 KB

So, because of that fiasco I decided to put some time into studying values and composition. These are all studies from Dean Cornwell's paintings;

Name:  13.jpg
Size:  127.8 KB

Members who have read this thread: 19