Thanks

Critique and Comments welcome!

Brand new to this website and I'm excited to learn a ton. Finished this goblin dude and I'd love to hear any critique or feedback you guys have so I can improve myself. Thank you!
    Name:  52p6pdE.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  122.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Personally, I'd bump up the contrast, add some life to the colors and really define your focal point. This may be a little more change than you'd like. I'm just going with what I like to see.
    Name:  ssr.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  264.8 KB
    Sketchbook

The best way to hunt in a mushroom forest is to climb on the back of a butterfly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Personally, I'd bump up the contrast, add some life to the colors and really define your focal point. This may be a little more change than you'd like. I'm just going with what I like to see.
    Thank you very much for your critique! I'll play around some more with contrast and colors to make this pop some more.

Somewhat unrelated, but If anyone has any ideas on how to make better backgrounds for characters, please help me out! I am for sure looking for some help when it comes to backgrounds.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pria View Post
    Somewhat unrelated, but If anyone has any ideas on how to make better backgrounds for characters, please help me out! I am for sure looking for some help when it comes to backgrounds.
    You can go about backgrounds in a few ways. The first (and easiest) is to refine what you've already got, which is something generic that doesn't distract from the central figure. This is good for character pieces. You can tinker with it to get the right mood (like, for example, making the background red or adding some visual noise for this devious little goblin). The other option is to actually put your character in a scene, which requires planning out the illustration from the very beginning and would include WAY more advice than I can reasonably go into in this post.

Hope this helps friend!

EDIT: also, on your original illustration, the hand holding the dynamite seems to be holding it with the tips of his fingers, rather than wrapping the fingers around it in a more natural way. Wasn't sure if that was intentional, but if it wasn't maybe take a reference photo of your hand holding something to act as a guide, and if it WAS intentional, maybe consider pushing the gesture to make it more obvious.
    Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

Keeper of Rhyme:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?&t=331282

Check out my Threadless store!
    https://nicholaswolf.threadless.com/

Also check out my new website
    !
    http://nicholaswolf.daportfolio.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for pointing that out about his dynamite hand! I didn't mean to make it look like he was holding it with his fingertips. I didn't think to look at hand reference when drawing the hands for some reason. If there's anything you or anyone would like to point out about anymore pose/anatomy stuff I am always looking to improve on that especially foreshortening body parts.

Maybe I'll experiment with a fiery background like he just blew something up.

Thanks for your help! I'll start making some changes with him.

Thanks
    I like your goblin dude! The first major change I would make, is to expand the canvas to include at least one foot, and the rest of his bag of dynamite. The composition is really suffering due to the cut-off silhouette.

I would also consider changing the position of the arm, to give the impression he's about to throw the dynamite. It looks a bit like he's just running with it and about to blow himself up - which could be intentional I suppose!

I did a quick paintover to try to illustrate my suggestion a little better--

Name:  GOBLINCRITpaintover.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  155.9 KB
    Last edited by mangosalsa; May 9th, 2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add pic
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you very much for replying to my post!

Looking at the new silhouette you posted (thanks for doing that btw that's really helpful), I for sure agree that the composition works a lot better the way you posed him. With his hand up like that, I think it adds more clarity to his pose. Tells the story of what he's about to do a lot better.