Thanks

line controle exercise (new to conceptart.org)

some of my daily line exercises.

I'm new to conceptart.org, if anyone has any tips to best use this forum to improve, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Start a post in the 'sketchbook' section to chronicle your work.

Use the 'critique' section when you have a piece of work you want folk to comment on.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 930 Posts
    Slow down and keep your pencil sharp!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Personally, I find that when I slow down, my brain starts firing random little jolts to my arm that make my line wobbly. I get much better results by doing the line in one quick motion or by using a ruler. Maybe that's just me. You may find it useful to make ghostly, light, marks over where you want your line to go. Do that a few times before you actually put the pencil all the way down to make your line. It'll get your arm familiar with the motion.

Also, practice going from thin to thick to thin. It's hugely helpful to know what your pencil is actually capable of doing in a single stroke. (For thick lines use the side of your pencil.)

Edit: also don't keep re-drawing over a line like that. You only make it ugly if you do so. Draw a line then move on to the next.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 930 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Personally, I find that when I slow down, my brain starts firing random little jolts to my arm that make my line wobbly. I get much better results by doing the line in one quick motion or by using a ruler. Maybe that's just me. You may find it useful to make ghostly, light, marks over where you want your line to go. Do that a few times before you actually put the pencil all the way down to make your line. It'll get your arm familiar with the motion.
    You train your muscle memory by making slow deliberate movements.

Also, practice going from thin to thick to thin. It's hugely helpful to know what your pencil is actually capable of doing in a single stroke. (For thick lines use the side of your pencil.)

Edit: also don't keep re-drawing over a line like that. You only make it ugly if you do so. Draw a line then move on to the next.
    This is an exercise, the idea is that you are able to check your accuracy.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    thank you for your replies. This thread is actually from last week when my posts were not approved yet.

modi: did it just now when my posts were approved.

eezacque: am doing this right for the longer lines, the shorter ones I find easier to make one quick stroke.

david: yeah, since I drew this page fond the Scott Robertson book and started ghosting my lines, I began doing this exercise from Peter Han's classes that I could find online, he says that you should go over every line 8x and slow down and slowly build the quickness of the strokes. So I've been following both methods
    Name:  20180509_092617_resized_1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  180.4 KB
    I ghosted the top one and slowed down in the bottom one but still ghosted some of the initial lines, but I went over them 8x nonetheless.