Thanks

Please help! Need crit or paint over on this environment piece

Hey guys , I have recently been working on this piece and it is getting there but when I look at it as a small thumbnail Zoomed out the way the shadow goes under that bridge they seem to merge together and you cant seem to tell whats going on . anyway if anyone has any pointers on how to make this look better I'm all ears. I have spent a good while on this so I want it to go in my portfolio eventually. Again this is a Work in Progress.

Maybe I'v been looking at it too long and need some fresh eyes out there!

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice to a point, but a few things confuse me.

First - the signs to the far left. Why are they are so clear when the rest of the indication the things back/middle are pretty far away. I would figure they would have numbers askew, dirt, and beat up..

If the signs are attached to a store up close then perhaps show a bit of teh store to not get thrown off by the tiny details in teh far background.

It's awfully empty for being a rats nest of things.

The guy slouching is super dark and hard to read.

I don't get the projection thing. Who is that for? Why is it there?

I hate to say it, but it's pretty boring. The whole "super cluttered/sort-of-dystopian-future" thing can be done well, but it also can be interesting. Nothing 'interesting' is happening here outside of a giant photomash of "clutter" textures.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Alright man, so is a ton of other stuff like this out there " Nothing Interesting". I'm curious to see some of your work. The Projection thing is supposed to be for a gas fill up station dumbass! read the fuckin sign in the image retard

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Ruthless View Post
    Alright man, so is a ton of other stuff like this out there " Nothing Interesting". I'm curious to see some of your work. The Projection thing is supposed to be for a gas fill up station dumbass! read the fuckin sign in the image retard

I don't get it. modi123's critique was five days ago and you're still pissed off? It's almost been an hour since you posted and no edits have been made to indicate that you've cooled off. Everyone hates getting critiques, but you've got to be able to take it if you want to improve or get work as an artist (especially when you're the one who asked for the critique in the first place.)

It's not the viewer's fault if my work is unclear or doesn't appeal to their aesthetic sensibilities.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Here's a few pointers on how to get the most out of critique you receive:

1) Analyze whether you agree, disagree or even understand the critique. See how it relates to the work or your approach and development in general.

2) Consider or verify the source of the critique...particularly if you do not agree with it or it seems confusing. If their work is pretty decent then pay attention, if not then disregard if you don't agree. But always be considerate, polite and thank them. Conflicting critique or advice should definitely be checked out. Some people know what they're talking about, others don't...simply check to see who is who.

3) Ask for clarification if you don't quite understand a point, but try to be specific, and ask only after you've done some research and checked any references offered. Try to study and understand the points of the critique on your own first.

4) Follow through...do your best to follow through on the critique you feel is most valid. If someone says you should work with simple forms and shapes to understand value better, by gosh, do some drawings along those lines and post them up. Don't just keep banging away at your "vampire knight mounted on a flying armored dragon"...or, you know, whatever. It is very frustrating to offer sound, carefully considered critique to someone who simply ignores it. Basically it means you will no longer receive valuable critique from that individual.

5) Don't make excuses...excuses mean you are not ready for critique and the effort required to improve.

6) If someone recommends a book or resource, get it. It is recommended because it will help you with your development. If this is not an option, you aren't ready for critique.

7) Don't ask for "tips, tricks or techniques". There aren't any. At least there aren't any someone else can tell you and have you understand. Tips, tricks and techniques are what you develop on your own and they contribute to your own style and expression. They are too subtle, individual and tied to the media and hand skills to be able to communicate easily.

8) In general, if you are not willing or ready to follow advice and critique, don't bother asking.

9) Be aware that what may at first seem like harsh critique is still intended to help, or shake you up, or break through all the BS you may have heard. Accept it in the spirit intended.

10) Keep working hard! But work effectively...

We now resume your regularly scheduled forum...
    Seems like you were looking for praise and not critique. In this case, I recommend www.deviantart.com.
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    1. Go to board literally called Art Critique Center
    2. Post art and specifically ask for critiques
    3. Get critiques on the art you posted
    4. Fly off the handle like a petulant child
    5. ???
    6. Profit

If you can't see why this behavior is not only insane, but hugely detrimental to your ability to grow as an artist, you might be in the wrong line of work.

EDIT: As long as I'm here (and at the risk of inviting a barrage of insults), I'd like to agree with/expand on modi123's pointers, mainly that it does seem awfully empty for a bustling metropolitan scene. Throwing a few more active details (not passive details, like textures), like other vehicles, people walking on the catwalks, construction vehicles working on stuff, etc could go a long way towards not only giving the viewer something more to look at, but also provide some sense of scale (because as it stands you really have an immediate foreground and a background, but no solid middleground). Lastly, to modi123's point about the gas gauges, there seems to be a stylistic disconnect from the price signs, which look like something out of 1950's rural America, and the futuristic hologram projection coming off the pump. Either one would work, but having both (especially with no other details in the background to provide context) both look weird.
    Last edited by Dread_Reaper; 1 Week Ago at 05:26 PM.
    Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

Keeper of Rhyme:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?&t=331282

Check out my Threadless store!
    https://nicholaswolf.threadless.com/

Also check out my new website
    !
    http://nicholaswolf.daportfolio.com/