Thanks

What's working so far, what isn't

Hey everyone so what I have here is meant to be one of those rooms that gives a little bit of background to its owner. It's from a world with a medieval-ish aesthetic, and the room is meant to be kind of like an office, kind of like a space that's used to put away valuables and junk.

I'm mainly concerned with the colors, perspective, and the objects decorating the place. But if you see anything else that stands out to you, I'm always up to hear it.Name:  Sagoni's office2.png
Views: 813
Size:  381.4 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    My eyes goes to that table and there is nothing, what does owner do in that table??? Ask questions to yourself like you have probably done
    Last edited by stonec; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:17 PM.

Thanks
    There are perspective inconsistencies between the furniture surfaces, floor and walls.
    Where is your horizon line and vanishing point for all of this?

Thanks
    Agreed no two pieces of furniture share the same perspective, did you use a grid or construction lines? It may be easier for you to do that.

Thanks
    Adding to the others, most people try to avoid putting things that block the window like the desk is. Luckily most old windows are push out not pull in, but it is still a bit inconvenient to open the window with current placement since reaching over a desk with quill and ink is asking for a spill. That really is hard to clean, and not to mention a wasted resource.

The room should reflect who owns it and the purpose of the room. Currently looking very organize, but then shuffled letters at the book shelf don't fit with the very organized placement. The container of weapons also organize except the other side of the room has them just laying about. Figure out the who (or multiple people) has this room and how they influence it.

It may be set of furniture used by one is kept clean like the desk, others are messy. When dealing with opposing ideals, keep in mind the neat person generally wants the messy areas to have a set placement-so it doesn't disturb them. Or perhaps this room is overall just for storage and writing letters. So everywhere is a mess except for area dealing with the letters so he can write and get to the table without issues. Also weapons being toss like this implied retired warrior. They aren't keeping up with their skills anymore, because it doesn't look care for or see equipment or space to maintain the weapons. Or perhaps this person was a blacksmith, old wares no longer cared for.

Another note not all furniture will be against a wall some will be in middle of room creating walkways to either side.

Thanks
    For stuff like this I'd always use a rough 3D base. Unless this is meant as a perspective exercise (but then why paint it out, just leave it in lines).

Thanks
    Hi there, I always appreciate perspective work, I myself avoid it like a scared little kid, so good on you!

I'll address the colors here, as most other feedback is placement and perspective related. I recognize that this is only the flats stage, and I'm sure there will be a lot more variation moving forward, but even so, it feels pretty drab, and I don't really like the colors as a first reaction. Color temperature can say a lot about the personality of a room. Even though this is primarily wood which has a brown local color, hue is very important to consider. As humans, we react emotionally to color, and right now, the hues of the browns don't agree with each other, and if I were in this room, I would want to get out as soon as possible. Part of this claustrophobic feeling is the darkness of the colors, the greenish floor, the orange-y walls, and partly because there is no exit. Our eyes naturally look for an exit, so it might be worth expanding your canvas to show the door. Introducing a light source will help this space immensely as well. Is it necessary to have the windows shut? Is this person suspicious of the outside world?

Good luck!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 4,532 Posts