Thanks

point everything out you dont like about that painting

Hey im new here. Im a selfthaught artist and i do these kind of paintings for reality check. So i learn what i have to work on. If you find some time to critique it, i iwould appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marcelg; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:36 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcelg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am not getting the scale here.. between the green guy and the guy by the rock.

Also I am not sure waht that big dark lip is cutting across the top left of the image.

Where abouts is the lighting coming from?

It's awfully brown and I am not certain if I dig it.

Over all - ok, but I am lacking any understanding of what is going on, the scene setup, etc.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I co-sign Modi. I'm confused by what he's doing. Is he bending to get under the rock/into the cave? If so it's not clear. Yeah, the scale could go either way he could be a giant if we're looking at it from the perspective of the man behind the rock, or is he just in the foreground behind him? The 'face' is great though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dominicque1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @modi123 thank you so much for the input and for your time @ Dominicque1 thank you aswell for your time and your thoughts. That helps me alot if you guys need help at any time let me know

- Marcel

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcelg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In addition to what's been said, I'm a bit confused by the background. I can't quite tell if the creature is walking on land or wading through water.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elding For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That caves "roof" cuts main characters head bit awkwardly, you could make him lean so he doesn't bang he's head to it .You should paint background bit more as I cant say anything about place where is this setting take place??? and who is other guy??? Why is he there??? Does he know main guy??? Ask questions about story to yourself

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Elding @stonec both of your critiques helped me so much. Thank you! and thank you for investing your time for that.

- Marcel

Thanks
    I just have to say that I really dig the design of the green guy. The robes, the mouth it's all very cool. Reminds me of the Telvanni robes from Skyrim.

That said; the reason I think people are having trouble figuring out what's going on is because it's not obvious at a glance. I only knew because I downloaded the file and noticed the title. Then I saw the rain.

Here are a few minor changes that I think will really help make it more apparent that these guys are sheltering from the rain in this cave. You can ignore this completely or pick and choose which ideas you like and incorporate those into your work. However, the two issues that I think are of utmost importance are the green guy's head in relation to the cave entrance and making the rain more apparent. Changing the light color and other small tweaks like water falling off the character aren't as big of concerns I don't think, but in my opinion they would help. You may also want to throw this image in your paint program and turn it to black and white to see how I changed the values as well. You'll notice that now there's even more focus on the green guy's head.
    Name:  few-changes.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  107.3 KB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @David_a_Ray oh my gawd! thank you so very much man. You guys are awesome! If i can help anyone out let me know.

Thanks
    Someone mentioned that couldn't figure out whats going on. I kinda understood that little guy stole a piece of jewelry from the green blind guy and now he's trying to hide from him.

David's tweaks make the image better, imo, but put a bit too much focus on the green guy's face. I think there could be a little more focus on the hiding guy and the green one to better tell the story.

I also second everyone else's comments on background being too undefined.
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Someone mentioned that couldn't figure out whats going on. I kinda understood that little guy stole a piece of jewelry from the green blind guy and now he's trying to hide from him.

Yah true, but on the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any jewelry that is obviously missing on the monsters outfit. If there was one it'd be a lot easier to read the story.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elding For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @pilgo i agree overall the original picture lacks in term of focus on both characters and the storytelling suffers alot from it. Btw i think a more dramatic angle on both of the characters would have been more benfitial, in terms of storytelling bird eye view for exmaple looking at the green golem guy try to grap the jewlery. @Elding good point there is no hint what so ever that the jewelry belongs originaly to the green golem. Well Well thank everyone so much for the input very helpfull. My next studys will defently focus on compostion and storytelling.