Thread: Chunky boy

Thanks

Chunky boy

trying something really out of my comfort zone. What’re your thoughts? Values, perspective, anatomy.. in the early rough stages still
    .Name:  7C761C8E-BD23-40AA-9283-F77F87901232.jpeg
Views: 914
Size:  62.7 KB
    Last edited by octopuscats; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:39 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Try to avoid using pure black values this early on in the piece, I think there's some perspective problems with the bottom jaw, the rest is too early to tell in terms of anatomy etc.

Thanks
    1. Focus on getting forms closer work with construction http://drawabox.com/
    2. Where is light coming from?? Painting from life helps with this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo&t=4s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqGkHWC5IU&t=4s

Thanks
    Okay, disclaimer - I was very, very intoxicated when I uploaded that and thought it looked much better at the time. I see now it's a big of a mess. I'm struggling a lot with it though because it's completely out of my comfort zone. It's a weird perspective, it's underwater, it's a reptile...all things I don't really have experience with. I've spent so much time on this and feel like I've accomplished nothing

Here are some screenshots I took to kind of try and explain where I was coming from. First one is my perspective grid, which I was trying to follow for both construction and lighting. Lighting is supposed to follow the darker blue (top right to bottom left). Second image is a bit of my construction lines (but I have no idea where I planned to put the arm closest to us). Third one is some of my references. Any advice? Do I need to scrap this and start over? I think I've repainted this guy from scratch like three times by now.

Name:  IMG_0278.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  109.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  412.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  381.9 KB

also, why is it bad to use pure black values?

Thanks
    He's waaaaaaaaaay too green, crocs aren't really that colour in real life

Thanks
    I wanted to have kind of murky green river water, so I thought that would influence his colour from a yellowish brown into more of a green.

Thanks
    Also, anyone know why I can't get my images to show up in the thumbnail? I'm using attachment manager.

Thanks
    What you haven't consider reflected light, did you even do exercises??? construction, what I forgot to say that still life is good for studying for light and shadows
    About pure black shadow are not pure black, you need to get values down before you can do colors properly. Remember photos don't give good colors compared to what nature gives

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don’t really understand what you’re telling me. Saying “do exercises” is not super helpful to fixing this. You can look at my sketchbook and see I’m fairly competent with basic construction, I’m just struggling with this in particular.

Thanks
    Theres quite a lot of structural differences between yours and the reference, particularly the overall size of the croc, its head and its jaw. I would try and do some more detailed construction based off the references first, try and get the definition of the skull and then shade around that. Then maybe do some grayscale blockouts to get values, because right now you're values are pretty off. Its hard to give advice when so much is undefined. Maybe blockout the scene around it as well to give better context? One last thing, try to practice blending more, a lot of your pieces have visible gradients where the values change, thats sort of okay as a stylistic choice, but you have to know when its appropriate. Stay positive though!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tenchi24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    By exercises I meant by drawabox and painting from life (still life) and studying how light works

Thanks
    I think the easiest time to get the drawing part right is on the drawing phase itself. It's just much harder to get everything in the right place while painting and you will spend way more time fixing it again and again than just trying to draw the thing in line and make sure everything is solid so you won't have to care about it again.

Anyway , I personally think what you are attempting is too complex for you to deliver
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    maybe try drawing simple shapes at first. drawing a croco is pretty hardcore for a beginner. id say you check out ctrlpaint.com and learn the basics of edgework since this is a big problem i see in your work, everything is just thrown together.

work on your hard and soft edges and their transitions and start working in grayscale rather than color to learn proper value placement

Thanks
    I'd say it would be easier to crit if this were at a bit more of a developed stage. If you let us know what your goal is for the image, that helps us to guide you as well. Despite previous comments, I don't think this is out of reach for you. If you have the time and the determination to work through something on the edge of your abilities and comfort zone, it's always a powerful way to expand your hand-to-eye coordination and all the rest.

Folks are right to suggest scouring the internet for the wonderful learning resources available, this is great to do at any skill level, but to address the piece as it is:
    The pose and placement are a bit vague. Is the croc about to grab the fish, or just floating beside it? Compositionally, it would work much better if we could see more of the figure, especially the movement of the tail.
    Are you going for realism or stylization? This will also help us to determine how to crit you. If you're trying for realism, there are a lot of lighting and color issues that have already been mentioned. If you're going for stylized, you can push your shapes in a way that feels fun to you while trying to retain the impression of the reference.

This scene will benefit from a background. In murky water, you can get away with theimpression of things behind the subject, and the feeling of light hitting floating particles in the water. This could be a really fun experiment. Layers will be your friend.

Have fun, good luck!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post: