Thanks

Environment help

I'm trying to take another crack at landscape/environment paintings but still can't get it right, so I'd like to ask for any feedback on what's wrong and mayby wich way to go to improove. Thanks in advance.

Name:  Random environment 2#.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  444.0 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You may have crossed a bit too far into the 'abstract' realm.. Things like I am not understanding where the sky is relative to the rest of the background and parts of the ground..

I don't get what the orange is.. fire? Fields? Amber fields of amber?
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    I think this is a great start. You just need to keep working on it. You have some nice flow if you are going to make the pillar that is closest to us the focal point. You do need to define the background mountains a bit more and I would make the 'lava' or glowing stuff in the bottom right foreground point more directly to the pillar. Then really make the pillar detailed and have something happening there. You don't need everything in the picture to be super refined and detailed, just the pillar area. This could end up being a really nice piece.

Thanks

Thanks
    I use references, especially for the mountain and crystals but I didn't plan this piece before I started so I'm really not quite sure myself what kind of ground surface is it, I also thought about putting some of the lava light from beneath them before but I don't know if it works well.

I always have trouble with "detail distribution" to make thing read without much detail on them, I assume that's just something you learn as your fundamental improve.

Huh, this is something a bit weird I noticed around here. I'm not talking only about this case specifically, but when I look at other people's posts I often see this kind of comment where people "can't see what's going on", then I look at the image and its really obvious. I would think people with an... I don't what what to call it, "stronger creative sense"? would be able to read these kind of things better. There is the foreground with the crystal a little desaturated futher plane, a darker than sky mountain in the background and a sky cut off by the bright clouds, I'm not sure how I would make it any more straight forward?

Name:  Random environment 2# 2.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  476.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I think most of us understand what is going on and where the background/foreground, etc is supposed to be but when someone says they can't see whats going on, they mean that those things are not reading as well as they could/should be. So, maybe those areas need some focus.

Viewers of your finished artwork might not be artists or creative types, so they might not see whats going on at all.

The crystal is definitely starting to look cool. I wonder if it would look cool if it contained some of the lava/glowing stuff. Might help explain whats going on, like the crystal is infusing the ground or the crystal is coming out of the ground infused with lava or whatever. Just a thought.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GetsugaDante View Post

Huh, this is something a bit weird I noticed around here. I'm not talking only about this case specifically, but when I look at other people's posts I often see this kind of comment where people "can't see what's going on", then I look at the image and its really obvious. I would think people with an... I don't what what to call it, "stronger creative sense"? would be able to read these kind of things better.
    I can't really see what's going on too clearly. There's a scifi thingy that is floating in what appears to be some sort of landscape with fire (or lava?). that's about the extent of it.
    You need to use reference properly, you're just painting vague symbols right now. For instance, that's not what mountains actually look like (if those are indeed mountains, I'm not even sure). The same goes for materials, individual shapes like rocks, clouds, atmosphere etc.