Thanks

Character design color choice

Hi guys! Would like to know your opinion on this guy colors and totem variations. Can't decide wich one is the best.(I'm thinking the dark one right now)
    Name:  Tocho_colorA.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  469.9 KBName:  Tocho_colorB.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  437.9 KB

I'd also like to have some feedback on this one in term of colors.
    Name:  Nota_color.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  383.6 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to All For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The dark totem looks better to me if its default position is resting on his shoulders. The lighter wood is more similar to the leather, that is right next to it, while the dark one is similar to the pants, that is further away.

The colors on the girls looks nice, but I'd darken her hair a bit and maybe add some of cyan details to her flute.
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

All

Thanks
    Watch your cultural references, not all indigenous people are the same. The totem is a dead ringer for Haida, which are people who live on the West coast and fish, whereas the clothing is very Cree inspired, which are nomadic plains people who hunt Caribou. You also have the head eagle feathers thing going on which a lot of people are not going to be happy about. It's kind of like if you were drawing a Samurai but he was wearing Chinese farmer's clothing and eating Kimchi.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Pilgo!

Quote Originally Posted by octopuscats View Post
    Watch your cultural references, not all indigenous people are the same. The totem is a dead ringer for Haida, which are people who live on the West coast and fish, whereas the clothing is very Cree inspired, which are nomadic plains people who hunt Caribou. You also have the head eagle feathers thing going on which a lot of people are not going to be happy about. It's kind of like if you were drawing a Samurai but he was wearing Chinese farmer's clothing and eating Kimchi.
    Thank you! It's still pretty hard for me to get the culture setting right,sign that my research was too superficial. Unfortunatelly it's too late for me now to change the design, the challenge finishes in 2 days and i still have to color a lot of characters.
    Do you think that if i took inspiration and researched from a single tribe, it would have been a better decision for the design? (although it's a fictional clan, not one wich really existed)

Thanks
    Well, you have to remember indigenous cultures have certain elements in their clothes or art because that's what was available to them. Haida made big totem poles because they had access to very large West coast forests. Cree had leather clothing because they had access to caribou. Navajo built their homes into the sides of mountains because they could avoid the harsh sunlight of the Southern USA. Character design always needs to consider context and environments

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by All View Post
    Thank you Pilgo!

Thank you! It's still pretty hard for me to get the culture setting right,sign that my research was too superficial. Unfortunatelly it's too late for me now to change the design, the challenge finishes in 2 days and i still have to color a lot of characters.
    Do you think that if i took inspiration and researched from a single tribe, it would have been a better decision for the design? (although it's a fictional clan, not one wich really existed)
    I think it’s impossible to make a really great, speculative fictional character design out of someone else’s culture without doing deep research. Octopuscats’ points about environmental context and artistic/ clothing traditions are spot-on, but it goes deeper still. For example, do you understand what messsage you are sending by having your character use what is for all intents and purposes a totem pole, as a weapon? Or wearing a dream catcher as an earring? And is that really what you want to be communicating with your design?

Until you have at least a reasonable outsider’s understanding of the meanings and contexts of all these items, designs, styles and symbols, you won’t be able to make more out of them than a mash-up of stereotypes.

As far as draughtsmanship is concerned, this stuff is better than most things in this space, it looks good. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your second character’s colors, they’re working quite well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yousir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I just finished my architectural degree earlier this month. My capstone project was an a community space for First Nations people in my home neighbourhood. Even with years of growing up there and knowing exactly what cultures I needed to research, I still spent a solid 2-3 months just on cultural and historical research so I could make something accurate and meaningful to the right people. A lot of indigenous designs end up getting super homogenized and turn into generic “Indian” designs where people are making totem poles, doing sun dances, having pow wows, wearing war paint and hunting bison. It’s important to remember all these cultures have lived here for centuries and have developed very unique traditions over time. They were all essentially their own countries with their own languages and way of life. You can’t roll them all up into one.

I'm not saying that to toot my own horn. Just demonstrating how much effort can go into cultural references. Even worse with indigenous culture in particular, thanks to the genocides, a lot of information you’ll find is dead wrong or horribly biased/outdated. I actually vastly trusted small blogs run by elders of the community than I did any government publication.

Anyways, your design is where it is now. Just something to think about for the future when referencing any culture. Japan/China/Korea are all distinct, Africa is not one big culture of people living in huts, indiginous people are completely different from state to state, and not all Latinos wear sombreros and eat tacos.
    Last edited by octopuscats; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:42 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you guys, learned a lot from your feedback! I guess i got lost in the technical part. In the future i'll try to add a greater level of research and understanding before taking on a cultural based design. The more i study the more i appreciate this kind of thought out stuff.
    Gotta fail to get better eheh

16. The Following User Says Thank You to All For This Useful Post: