Thanks

ilikeghostsandimps's (Dimps's) sketchbook

Hello! Here's a short introduction: I'm a teenager in high school who likes to doodle out little monsters and flowers, but I would like to develop into a professional artist. I don't know what kind of professional artist though. Art stuff is just fun to me, but it bothers me that I may be drawing the same content repeatedly: Front facing imp with a fork, front facing imp with a fork, front facing imp with a fork and way more!(side facing imp with a fork). I'm sorry if some of my chicken scratch in this post is on line paper of all things. I do have a sketchbook where I keep my drawabox things from January and haven't touched since then (I just discovered that Uncomfortable made youtube videos on Drawabox and it's a lot easier for me to learn that now). In my lined workbook I draw a ton of silly little characters. I often draw a bunch of silly faces or bodies. Mostly faces.

I drew these using the highest quality instruments: A pencil I took from the floor at school, a ballpoint pen I borrowed (and never gave back) and a good-as-done felt tip inking pen. I have a very cheap pencil set (which I don't know how to use) and may be able to get more felt tips eventually.
    I do have access to a scanner and I plan on learning how to use it (except I worry: do I rip the pages out of my sketchbook or what?).

Here's 9 images. I was going to upload about 24, but then the image viewer on this laptop I'm using decided to become a spooky ghost so I couldn't view the images I wanted to convert.
    Name:  1.jpeg
Views: 654
Size:  317.5 KBName:  2.jpeg
Views: 627
Size:  190.7 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  295.0 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  327.3 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  304.9 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  285.7 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  255.0 KBName:  8.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  265.1 KBName:  9.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  287.3 KB
    I'm sorry if some of them are sideways. I barely have time to organize a forum post.
    I'm unsure if these are even critique-able, but I'd really, really appreciate critiques if that's somehow possible (or would I have to repost in the critiques section?).
    These images are from just a few months ago, except for the forward-facing imp with those "groovy" hoove-ies. I made that yesterday (April 26th, 2018).
    I do have plenty of more drawings like figure drawings and just one picture with a background but the image viewer window preferred to become a literal window.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 4,532 Posts
    Welcome to the forum. Materials don't much matter when you're learning, the important thing is to keep drawing. I see you've gone from scratchy lines to drawing a line between dots. A good additional practice would be to use that and the other exercises in drawabox to do some simple still lives. For rotating images and resizing, you can use Irfanview (free). No need to tear out pictures from your sketchbook, just try to minimise the light leakage when scanning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome to ConceptArt!

Yeah, no need to rip anything from your sketchbook... it does help if you pay attention to not drawing extremely close to the inner edge though.

If you don't know them yet, ctrl.paint also has some free videos on traditional drawing with basic exercises (I believe one of them also explains the different pencils your set probably has): https://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/wel...tional-drawing

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Olooriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome to the forums!

Good exercises there. Those imps with forks already show some understanding of form and the linework look clean.

Keep up!
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Today I wanted to draw a monkey from a reference stock image, but I felt uncomfortable. I usually feel uncomfortable because I don't know what I'm doing. Now as I type this, I'm thinking "Go for it! Draw it! Get it wrong!" And I should get it wrong, that's how learning is supposed to happen I'm told. I forget most of thst advice as I draw. Should I take breaks to remind myself?
    I haven't got access to that printer's scanner yet. I'll get to it after my workbook is filled. The goal of this workbook, for the last of its pages, is to learn that practice doesn't have to be a masterpiece. I'll practice values in the sketchbook, since the lines are in the way.

My biggest problem is my body position while drawing. I lay down in bed with my back on a bunched up blanket and pillow. This often forces me to use my elbow and eventually my wrist, unconciously. I haven't experimented too much using my shoulder while laying in bed, but I doubt it allows for full movement. I'm supposed to do a lot of drawing with the shoulder, right? I know the elbow and wrist are acceptable sometimes. I think.
    I have a cheap ikea desk I could use. It has a flat top and the chair is just a stool chair. Altogether it costed around 85$USD, I think. Should I use the desk? My schedule only allows me to work undisturbed at night. Should I get a desk lamp? The lamp in my room currently is orange and is in the center of my bedroom. If I were to use that lamp, not only would things look warm in color, but my body would cast a shadow over my books.
    If that was too long to read
    What should my workspace look like? What should it have? Armspace? A desklamp? What should my body position be?

Here's more work from a while ago in about January. It's amateur of me to work in spurts instead of consistently.

I was reluctant to upload the doodle with the bull because it's one if those little characters I keep to myself. I have a project I want to make. Since it'll be my first I know it's unlikely to be my best. I uploaded it because I did my own thing with structure. I use triangles with points at the feet. However, I would like to follow something more like Andrew Loomis's way of structure. I need to read that book again, Fun with a Pencil, and more of his books.

Those grey smudges on some of the images are a bad habit of mine, they're comments I often put on my doodles. They're mostly negative. The worst critic is myself, isn't it?
    Attached Images Attached Images                                        
    Last edited by Ilikeghostsandimps; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:46 PM. Reason: I just realized my images, when viewing on a laptop, are really, really big. Sorry!

Thanks
    Here's todays batch, April 30th 2018. I think this is the last of my workbook I'm showing. Again, these sketches are from last January and December.

The one I created today, in pen, is a glass terrarium on a cabinet with a mess of clothes in and on front of it with a trash bag to its side. It's right on front of my desk, I should clean my room!! (I'm excited to have turned my desk around, plenty of natural light and armspace! And space for putting objects in or on the terrarium to draw (maybe)! Perfecto!)
    Attached Images Attached Images                                      

Thanks
    I've moved to my sketchbook, from my workbook. I've done more drawabox, listened to a few videos (and had a tough time absorbing the information), read a few paragraphs and most importantly: procrastinated heavily.

I know I won't get every drawing perfect, but it's the cluelessness of "what's next?" that stops me. The solution's just putting down more lines, because it's no master piece! It's literally (a) bull. I did give up, twice. I've got a long way to go. Years of practice starts somehwhere.
    Maybe the stock photo was just difficult.
    The two pictures of the bull are seperate attempts.Name:  20180506_174828-1632x1224.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  51.5 KBName:  20180505_153602-979x1305.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  140.6 KBName:  20180506_175820-979x1305.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  194.5 KB

I don't plan on posting anymore scribbles that I've given up on, there's only going to be this bull as an example of what happens when I give up. I'd just like someone to point me in a better direction. Also, I ought to start using that scanner, too.

Thanks
    You might want to leave the pencil for a while and just draw with pen. Your line efficiency will improve like that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigItch For This Useful Post: