Thanks

Horse art needing critique

Hi! I am new here so I am sorry if something goes wrong.
    For school I had to do my own version (or straight copy but I decided to do version of my own) of a famous painting and I tried to do something completely different. I chose George Stubbs'A Horse Frightened by a Lion. Usually I try to keep my art pretty realistic and angles really boring (usually on eyelevel). This time I decided to go with pretty bold lines, weird angle and exaggerated bodyparts trying to mimic the horse on Stubbs' painting with it's long neck. I would mostly like critique on the horse because the lion and backgroud are so messed up because I underestimated how long the horse would take. Still all critique is more than welcome! I made everything else on the horse without reference but that furthest leg. That I had huge problems with

Name:  muunnelma_by_walsa-dby0ie6.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  scared_wip_by_walsa-dbxiqk1.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  81.1 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I had a hard time telling what is going on with the background. It's all so blurry that at first glimpse I thought it was some sort of dirt cloud or smoke.

You could work a bit on that. Push the values more and harden those edges.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    Don't forget to settle on a direction for your light.. it may help clear up some visually confusing highlights.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    pilgo, Thank you! I'll definitely try to do that. Backgrounds definitely aren't my strongsuit.

modi123, Lighting is so hard for me if I don't have actual reference. In my mind I can make it out really well put when it's time to get it on the screen I'm totally lost. Would you have any tips? Thank you so much too!

Thanks
    Nice work on pushing yourself! I think the horse's pose would benefit from even more distortion. Maybe try bringing the chest up to give the impression it is starting to rear?

Something about the shape of the cave lessens the lion's impact. It might help the composition to see more of the horizon line?

I would also recommend using something in the foreground, overlapping the horse, to really push the feeling of the exaggerated perspective.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangosalsa View Post
    Nice work on pushing yourself! I think the horse's pose would benefit from even more distortion. Maybe try bringing the chest up to give the impression it is starting to rear?

Something about the shape of the cave lessens the lion's impact. It might help the composition to see more of the horizon line?

I would also recommend using something in the foreground, overlapping the horse, to really push the feeling of the exaggerated perspective.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much! This was really really helpful. The pose is what it is because of the original piece but I'll keep that in mind if I do this type of thing again!

Maybe I should have posted this at the start but here is the original piece
    Name:  T06869_10.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  200.6 KB

And this is what I usually do. Maybe this will help you understand why I am so lost with this piece
    Name:  _let_there_be_light__by_walsa-dbhpgqy.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  68.3 KB

Thanks
    being lost is ok mate, you have taken a leap out of your comfort zone and taken on something that will push you.
    It is exactly the right thing to do if you want to improve I applaud you for it mate!

I think the problem for me is that you just turned the horses pose through 45 degrees or so and the horse has escape on its mind and not stand off and rear up to defend itself.
    you need a reference photo of a horse buggering off at high speed to make it work.

we can take on the background and blurry issues later.
    Keep at it mate its working!
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Posing aside, there is a lot to learn from the values in a master study, if you put both images in greyscale you will see the discrepancy between the original's values and yours. I know you're not looking for an exact copy but it might help bring your piece to life