Thanks

Questions on creature design

I'm about to start a creature design personal project, but exactly I don't know how to do it.

So to the ones that have already designed creatures, I want to ask them: what would be the proper aproach to it, how to choose the correct real life references to build the creature from, and what to do and not to do to make it look and feel real?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    the proper approach is to decide every aspect of its life, where it lives, is it sentient, is it social, what it eats, is it nocturnal or diurnal. When you do that then you can decide its looks.
    Last edited by dpaint; April 23rd, 2018 at 09:51 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    the proper approach is to decide every aspect of its life, where it lives, is it sentient, is it social, what it eats, is it nocturnal or diurnal. When you do that then you can decide its looks.
    In addition, think through its body mechanics: does it have the skeletal structure to keep its posture, does it have the muscles to do what it has to do, the eyes to see what it has to see, the intestines to digest, etc. Think it through.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What about reading animals or watching documentaries about them so you more understanding about behavior, coloration etc. as nature gives and takes away qualities for species

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Creature design is just a subset of worldbuilding. They need to belong to the local environment. It wouldn't be a believable idea to make a creature with a heavy fur coat for an equatorial desert environment or put an ectothermic reptile in a polar region unless you really thought through how they would live.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're right, thanks for the ideas.

Thanks
    And how would you choose special abilities for it without overpowering it in proportion to their environment and the other creatures and animals? example, a dragon that lives in a forest, it already flies, it's big, has claws, teeth, maybe spits fire, etc. That's too much already, how do you keep it balanced and how do you know when it's too much?

Thanks
    Well, why would it need to breathe fire if it can fly? If it lives in a forest, where does it have room to fly? I liked the Tobi Kadachi design of Monster Hunter World a lot. It was a quick and fast predator that mostly just jumped from tree to tree, and had lightning to paralyze anything it caught up to. It didn't need to fly because it already had the advantage on other animals in the forest, and it wasn't particularly strong or big because it had paralysis to back it up. Compare that to the Anjanath in the same environment, which is more like a T-Rex. It's very large and can throw its weight around, which meant it moved very slowly and was more likely to stand and fight.

You can just watch the first introductory scenes of these boss fights and immediately get a feel for what kind of creatures these monsters are.
    Tobi Kadachi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxjYFRNRWo
    Anjanath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMW7nYThHA

Same environment, different evolutionary paths.
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexaa View Post
    And how would you choose special abilities for it without overpowering it in proportion to their environment and the other creatures and animals? example, a dragon that lives in a forest, it already flies, it's big, has claws, teeth, maybe spits fire, etc. That's too much already, how do you keep it balanced and how do you know when it's too much?

You size it to its environment; a forest-dwelling dragon would be small to fly between the trees and live in them. If it's too big to do that it can't live in the forest. If its small then fire-breathing isn't much of a threat to trees and other animals. It's just common sense. Like I said before you have to fit it into the world.

Thanks
    Ouch! that's the end of my original idea. It was filled with mistakes.

Thanks for the correction and for clearing my vision, I have to rethink everything in a better way.

I will follow your suggestions and I will investigate better.