Thread: Master Study

Thanks

Master Study

Hi guys

here is a master study I did. I was trying to figure out how to make a good transition between light and dark values. I was also trying to make sure to push the values but to be honest I feel like I could push them more....are there any obvious value related issues you see that you could help me with? i am mostly just focusing on value i am not too concerned about accuracy but all critque is welcome. I made a poll too if its easier to respond that way :

http://poal.me/8qrv4x

Name:  Master Study - William A-Recovered.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  147.1 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_7299.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  208.3 KB

I think you could go darker in values in some places and lighter in others. With values more in the mid range, your figures look a bit flat and get lost in the backgrough a bit in places. I circled places you could go darker (some places almost black) in red and places that should be lighter (some places almost full white) in blue.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Diegloas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow thank you so much. it feels good to get feedback.

yes i agree about what you said about my figures looking more flat.
    That is one thing that i am trying to work on as well, the ability to make things look as far away from being flat as possibe. 3 dimensionality is a very attractive feature to me since it is so hard for me to do even though I've been drawing for ages.

i realize i forgot to mention that with this value study i tried not to use the eyedropper tool but i am now wondering if i should use that to help my study go quicker. or maybe it would be a better idea to just keep eyeballing everything

but yes thank you for the help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyou View Post
    wow thank you so much. it feels good to get feedback.

yes i agree about what you said about my figures looking more flat.
    That is one thing that i am trying to work on as well, the ability to make things look as far away from being flat as possibe. 3 dimensionality is a very attractive feature to me since it is so hard for me to do even though I've been drawing for ages.

i realize i forgot to mention that with this value study i tried not to use the eyedropper tool but i am now wondering if i should use that to help my study go quicker. or maybe it would be a better idea to just keep eyeballing everything

but yes thank you for the help.
    As tempting as that eye dropper tool is I would refrain, I mean it’s a good tool and it’s particullary good when you already have some values and mixed color on the canvas, but trial and error by eyeballing it will only improve your knowledge. What you could do is eyeball it and then check how close or off you are with the eye dropper.

Thanks
    I think you should go to photoshop . Open Window -> Adjustment and play with the Threshold and Posterize Adjustment layer,

Realistic painting is pretty much organizing shapes of value and color ( Brad Rigney backs me on this on his Schoolism course ) . Any value/color range can give and appearance of form if you can organize them well enough .

Do posterize paintings such as this
    <a href=Master Study" title="Master Study" />

Use only a few ( 3-5 for light and mid tone , 2-3 for shadow ) , use only 100 opacity brush and try to organize the value shapes in teh right place. You can check whether you do it right or not using Posterize and Threshold adjustment layers on the reference

If you do it right and every value is in the right place, the moment you use a blend/smudge brush to soften all those value shapes , it will achive the softness like on the ref ,

Oh , and search " Dorian Iten" on google , go to his article (buy his course if you can ) he explains value and lighting very well
    Last edited by GPhong; April 23rd, 2018 at 02:48 AM.