Thanks

Short story cover

Hello friends!
    Just wanted to hear your comments on the cover of a short story. It's a horror and the title translates to "Gordian Monde's Art". I am affraid the painting looks a bit too flat, but I struggled with that issue since I wanted the light to stay really dim there. Any tips are more than welcome. Thanks!
    Short story cover
    Last edited by psychoreaper; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:51 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi there, liking a few things in this scene. Texture and design of the lettering is interesting- though I'm not sure, is it dripping with Elmer's glue?

I think you already identified the biggest issue here, the lighting. Where is the light coming from? A candle? Moonlight through a window? Even dimly lit scenes are lit by something, and let's face it, it's way more fun to draw a scene with some sort of interesting lighting. Lighting also defines form, and will help you to bring a flat drawing into the illusion of dimensional space.

The position of the hand isn't quite convincing me. It looks more like someone is just holding their hand out, rather than grasping and moving a drape. It might be worth taking a couple shots of your own hand doing this gesture to sell the movement a bit better.

Composition is working. There's just enough interest in the way the drape makes a diagonal and the title is framed by the drape and the items below it. So well done on that!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi! Thanks for the comment. Yep, the lighting is tricky for me in this one. For sure it would look better with a well defined light source like a bunch of candles or moonlight. The plot of the story implies, however, that the place we are at is almost utterly dark. It seems I didn't find the way to make it both visually pleasing, and true to the story plot. Any tips on how to paint such a scenery?

As for the hand gesture, I had taken took some shots of my own hand moving a blanket aside before I got down to work, and to my mind it seems that the problem here are the folds of the drape near the hand. They should be more round under the palm. That's why it looks the way it does. I'll try to fix it! Anyway, thanks for help!