Thread: Reever

Thanks

Reever

Name:  Reever downsized.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  438.6 KB
    "This is the best vacation spot in the galaxy!"

Hi All!,
    With this piece I feel like its lacking an overall finish. But I am unsure of what it is its missing. I wanted to get a loose looking finish, but the background and areas of the scythe(particularly the side of the scythe) seem incomplete. Any advice?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, one thing that throws me off immediately is that the moon is on one side and it is, somehow, lighting the scene from the other.

The composition favors the moon being on the left because of that tall staff/scythe the character is holding, so I'd keep it there, but I'd redo all the lighting. You could move the fire to the right side to give a better balance between the two light sources.

Also, if this character was designed by you, good job. His head is weird and interesting.
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Additionally, you could try to unify the colors of the image. You should also determine your focal point. The moon in your image is a serious problem both for the lighting reason and for the powerful pull it has on the viewer's eyes.

Here are some ideas for how you may improve your image. Note how your eyes are instantly drawn to the character's face and upper robe. That's where the contrast is now. I also cropped the image a tad. This is why he appears to be standing in a different location.
    Name:  tweak.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  95.2 KB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think maybe remove the moon or at least make it dimmer, and refine the smoke and fire with maybe using a custom brush.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VerticalKatana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh wow, How did I not notice this moon issue?? hahaha, (maybe he has a mirror out of frame reflecting the light into him =P) And yes this was a character designed by me! Thanks for the advice and critique!

Thanks
    Love this color scheme you came up with! I can see what your saying about the moon pulling the viewer. I am really digging the big staff too...

Members who have read this thread: 20