Thanks

Anatomy/lighting/anything

hey guys novice self teacher looking for feedback...thanks!

Name:  83831A22-3464-4C64-92C9-0FBC71C953F1.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  106.5 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,018 Posts
    I suggest you use reference...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The furry shoulder blades seem off compared to the rest of the body. First in style (everything else is lined but this isn't), and also in placement, usage, and shape.

I don't get the overly hallow pits behind the knees.

The right foot (entire right legt) looks mangled? I don't know if that is intentional.

The butt cheeks look like two crazy inflated balls stapled on. Typically there should be some flow from the back thigh.

I also don't understand that pose from left foot to knee to pelvis to shoulders.. Maybe it goes back to the ass being inflated.

The bow string looks off centered.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to modi123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    I suggest you use reference...
    Thanks for your reply. I did use several refrences, although I couldn't find a good reference for this pose so I had tried to use multiple references to match what I had in mind.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    The furry shoulder blades seem off compared to the rest of the body. First in style (everything else is lined but this isn't), and also in placement, usage, and shape.

I don't get the overly hallow pits behind the knees.

The right foot (entire right legt) looks mangled? I don't know if that is intentional.

The butt cheeks look like two crazy inflated balls stapled on. Typically there should be some flow from the back thigh.

I also don't understand that pose from left foot to knee to pelvis to shoulders.. Maybe it goes back to the ass being inflated.

The bow string looks off centered.
    Thanks for these points, you have given me much to consider. I've not spent much time painting anatomy for my sheer fear of it as if you're a little off it looks shitty haha. But no reason to not try and I appreciate pointing out these improvements. Originally was a line drawing that I'd like to paint out the lines.

As far as anatomy goes I have been looking for ways to work on improving my understanding...it was recently suggested to me that I work on quick sketches of poses which I will be working on in the future. I find it difficult to find good reference poses through google, are there any good place to find a large collection of poses or something to this effect? I also purchased a detailed model figurine to work from although it's a bit anime style which is not really what I'm going for.

Essentially I don't really know how to work on these to improve, if there is some advice you (or orhers) could give I would be thankful for it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diegloas View Post
    I find it difficult to find good reference poses through google, are there any good place to find a large collection of poses or something to this effect?
    You might wanna give sites like https://www.quickposes.com/en and http://reference.sketchdaily.net/ a try.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Thanks for your reply. I did use several refrences, although I couldn't find a good reference for this pose so I had tried to use multiple references to match what I had in mind.
    How about shooting your own? Ask a friend to pose, or pose yourself?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here’s an update based on feedback you fine folks gave me still working on it but I found better references to use

Name:  4AC82D9A-BFC5-42DB-9862-DFF5C1807F65.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  72.6 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    How about shooting your own? Ask a friend to pose, or pose yourself?
    I don’t have friends who would pose nude for me (sad life hahaha) but I could pose myself. Never thought to do that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    You might wanna give sites like https://www.quickposes.com/en and http://reference.sketchdaily.net/ a try.
    These are awesome that’s for these resources!!

Thanks
    Hi there, haven't been on CA in forever, so it's fun to hop back into crit land.

I think it would be nice to see a second draw of this image, using what you've learned anatomy-wise and technique-wise here. The pose doesn't really say much about what's happening in this image, it's a bit generic. When doing illustration and concept art, there are a few things to keep in mind to "sell" the character These are the things that I try to nail in my designs before getting too deep into detailing and such (though, as all artists do, I struggle with them as well).

Facial expression, action of the hands, flow of movement (gesture).

You did a good job trying to get your proportions right (though the feet are small), and in doing so, perhaps lost a bit of the feeling of the piece. Now that you've played around with his design, why not try "animating" the pose a little? Really consider what the point of this character's nudity/haircut/props are, and give him a pose. Make him actually do something. I think you'll find that it's actually easier to create a pose when you have a story in mind.

Good luck!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangosalsa View Post
    Hi there, haven't been on CA in forever, so it's fun to hop back into crit land.

I think it would be nice to see a second draw of this image, using what you've learned anatomy-wise and technique-wise here. The pose doesn't really say much about what's happening in this image, it's a bit generic. When doing illustration and concept art, there are a few things to keep in mind to "sell" the character These are the things that I try to nail in my designs before getting too deep into detailing and such (though, as all artists do, I struggle with them as well).

Facial expression, action of the hands, flow of movement (gesture).

You did a good job trying to get your proportions right (though the feet are small), and in doing so, perhaps lost a bit of the feeling of the piece. Now that you've played around with his design, why not try "animating" the pose a little? Really consider what the point of this character's nudity/haircut/props are, and give him a pose. Make him actually do something. I think you'll find that it's actually easier to create a pose when you have a story in mind.

Good luck!
    thanks so much for your feedback! I think you're right about a repaint on this one. As you said it's diffuclt for me at the moment to come up with my own unique poses as I'm still very dependent on references for the pose...I think I may have been focusing too much on form of the body with out function. I've really been enjoying Proko but it's just a matter of finding time to practice. I'm a teacher so there are long chunks of time where I cannot get much painting in and I lose my momentum a bit. I'm going to attempt a repaint I have something in mind that could improve the storytelling

Thanks
    Hey there I’ve taken what I learn here and started working on a new version of this piece. It’s in a rough form right now but I’d appreciate any more feedback that can be given on my progression:

Name:  ABD6E249-CEE1-43B5-B4E5-7F90DAB284FD.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  70.5 KB

Thanks
    Wow, huge improvement! It has a much more narrative feel, and the expression is starting to express a sense of life and personality, as though he's on some sort of sacred mission. I would revisit the proportions of the legs, and the outstretched foot should be viewed almost in profile, judging by the position of the knee. It would be nice if his right hand was visible, rather than hidden behind the leg.

Well done!
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mangosalsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there I’ve taken what I learn here and started working on a new version of this piece. It’s in a rough form right now but I’d appreciate any more feedback that can be given on my progression:

Name:  ABD6E249-CEE1-43B5-B4E5-7F90DAB284FD.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  70.5 KB
    Great improvement indeed!

Apart from the things mango pointed out, I've noticed a few more:
    - head and neck doesn't seem to be centered on the body;
    - his left arm looks a bit too long.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you everyone who has provided feedback it has given me a good direction on how to move forward with my painting. I reviewed the critiques you provided and I feel that I went back in and made the correct adjustments to their errors and anatomy. I also added in some scenery to improve the narrative. I’ve really learned a lot from previous critiques and I would appreciate any additional feedback that can be given

Name:  E593F15B-FCBB-4BBD-8049-53D3FA64F3BD.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  108.6 KB

Thanks
    Update: I went in and added some color

Name:  145C5E29-094B-438F-B8F8-FF68F539D640.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  111.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Leg on the left is very short compared to the right.
    Thank you I was thinking the same thing I have addressed this!