Thanks

The choice of drawing medium to improve quality of lines(Pen vs Pencil)?

Peeps,

Your opinion?

Drawing with pen comes more natural to me due to round tip(standard blue bic). Whenever I draw with pencil it feels "scratchy" and just uncomfortable(I feel like I am drawing with a claw or something lol).

Is it beneficial for improvement of the line quality to use medium that you are not comfortable with? Or just use what comes natural first to strengthen muscle memory and then switch over once the desirable results are achieved?

Cheers

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Pencil gives more variety of line, compared to a ballpoint pen, which is essential for developing a good line quality. I suggest you try a few types of pencils (graphite, charcoal, china, conte) and degrees of hardness (2B is a good starter) until you find something you like.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool. I will give it a go

Thanks
    Pens require more concentration as you really cant erase (nothing wrong with it) and it forces you to do cleaner lines you can get line variation even with microns by using pressure and angle plus different sizes for example 0,5 and 0,8. Dip pens and ink are also worth to try but its bit harder to use than pencils or pens.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zl5NnEAyU&t=11s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX4SZwhU_dc
    Edit: Good line quality comes with time no matter of medium, use what you like, we can just give our opinions
    Last edited by stonec; April 18th, 2018 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks
    Improving muscle memory will help with line quality. I had always used HB or 2B graphite pencils for drawings, but experienced difficulty controlling conté crayons and charcoal (as well as the softer graphite pencils). After watching Proko's video on controlling your pencil, I did 1,000s of drawings of lines and circles over the span of a year. My line quality greatly improved as I had greater control over the pencil. I tried using charcoal again and had a much easier time making accurate marks. You can also rotate your arm without a drawing medium in the same movements that you would utilize when drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    If you want variety with ink use a brush if it has to be a pen use a quill drawing pen, its the only kind of pen that comes close to the line variety of a pencil or other dry media (charcoal, conte, pastel).