Thread: Art Questions

Thanks

Art Questions

...edited...
    Last edited by BlackOwl; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:41 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 991 Posts
    Lets see your portfolio, it would make it easier to give you an answer. Nothing else matters as much as that.
    Last edited by Mike Tenebrae; April 16th, 2018 at 03:34 AM.

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 2,727 Posts
    it very hard for people just starting out to find more than just occasional work. If you are in high school and have just started drawing and painting, figure about ten years to get to the level of ability that will get you paying work.
    Last edited by dpaint; April 16th, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks
    What everyone is trying to say is that your ability to find work depends on your artistic ability.

Thanks
    I personally don't have much experience with the industry but the people I have interacted from multiple artist hangouts are all over the place on the success scale. Depends on your skill level, enthusiasm, location, available company ... etc, god know where you will end up. Do a lot of searching, preferably prioritizing local studio first.

There are too many variables to ever give a concrete answer I think. Like if you live the the Eastern parts of the world you can get a lot of 3D works for production because of outsourcing, while fantasy concept arts are not so much. If there are some small-medium mobile game kind of studios in your area, then it could be easier to break into.
    Last edited by GPhong; April 16th, 2018 at 11:49 AM.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    You’re kind of asking “how heavy is a bag of bricks?”. It depends. There’s so many variables no one can really give you a solid answer. Working freelance vs for a consulting company vs an in house studio, what stage of the design you’re working on, how far along the project is, what the deadlines are....

Thanks
    Check out FZD school channel on youtube, some podcast in there have info on concept art work/education. Also other youtube channels on the subject are ArtCafe, Schoolism, Chris Oatley, Marco Bucci, Cubebrush, Sinix. I dont think you have a really clear idea of what concept art is, do some research.

Thanks
    Your portfolio should have at least 5 to10 pieces in it and you should update it every 6 months with all new images. If you can't do that then you aren't ready for professional work. A portfolio doesn't just show your quality, it shows your ability to produce work consistently over long periods of time. When I was an art director anybody who submitted the same portfolio of images twice to our company went into the trash bin, it showed they weren't serious about making art.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,574 Times in 4,531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Your portfolio should have at least 5 to10 pieces in it and you should update it every 6 months with all new images. If you can't do that then you aren't ready for professional work. A portfolio doesn't just show your quality, it shows your ability to produce work consistently over long periods of time. When I was an art director anybody who submitted the same portfolio of images twice to our company went into the trash bin, it showed they weren't serious about making art.
    Isn't that tough if you've been working on NDA stuff and can't show new work?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was thinking about same, how long usually NDA last? I assume its longer than 6 months. Only way around it is personal work
    Last edited by stonec; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:43 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks
    No, it's not. You may not be able to do 3 pieces a month, but 1 piece a month? Any professional should be able to do that. If you can't you don't have professional chops.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    No, it's not. You may not be able to do 3 pieces a month, but 1 piece a month? Any professional should be able to do that. If you can't you don't have professional chops.
    seemingly i do not have professional chops as, so far, i can't. but anyway, there's always time left for learning i can assume. anyway, thanks for answers!

Thanks
    Just to be clear, currently, I do over 100 finished paintings a year for my traditional galleries and science fiction and fantasy venues. That doesn't count sketches and failed attempts. When I was doing production art as a full-time job I still managed 60 paintings a year of personal work on top of my production art. As a professional artist, a finished piece of art every two weeks, every year of your career is not an unreasonable expectation. As an artist, you are supposed to finish pieces of art, treat it as a job and it will become your job, treat it like a hobby and you are guaranteed to make it a hobby.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    can someone here please tell me that what skillset should one have in order to become a concept artist in the art industry?

Thanks
    You need to be able to create a fully realized scene or scenes from a short written brief and other supporting documents. The image you create should take into account the restrictions of the medium it is being created for so that it can actually be used in production as a guide for further development. That means being able to render environments including set pieces like buildings and people and tech into a believable setting that tells a story. You have to know how to draw paint and compose an image to a high degree of competence and be able to finish it in a timely manner.