Thread: Harley Quinn

Thanks

Harley Quinn

Hello

I have been working on this Harley Quinn drawing. I am looking for help with values and the digital painting process in general.

Here my process was to lay down base colors, then slowly build the values while looking at my reference and using a soft round brush on low opacity.

I will provide the refence I used too so you guys can compare. Im wondering if you guys feel like the values could be pushed more? is the painting maybe too soft? would it be a better idea just to start all over rather than keep pushing this drawing? I was following my reference closely but I still feel like it looks very off.

The first image is mine, the second two images are my references. I was also wondering if you guys knew any good painting tutorials, like a tutorial where i go from painting in black and white values first and then go into putting color on top of it, That is what I wanted to do here but I started with color first since I had a reference image to use to figure out colors. I dont know if you guys would be interested in letting me know if I followed the references poorly or if there is something obvious i missed...

Name:  Illustration - FanArt - Batman.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  104.3 KBName:  Reference Photos.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  237.8 KBName:  Reference - Harley Quinn2.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  85.2 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Right now the biggest issue I'm seeing is how blurry and low resolution it looks. You need to up your pixels per inch or canvas size or something and paint over it.

Other than that, I think the rendering on the jacket arms is nice. The gloves look a bit weird, they look too short, even if that's how they are they look wrong in your image. Finally I would say the face is a bit pudgey. The nose is a bit flat and the chin is a bit large. Draw the head without hair first so you get the proportions right then add the hair later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In your reference image, her arms are taut like that because she’s pulling on her necklace. Why are you copying that for your painting? Are you going to have a necklace or something similar? Because right now her arms are tensed up for no reason

6. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    aw yes you're right. in my next painting I will try to have the pose make more sense. Thank you

Thanks
    Thank you AJams! ok, I will try harder next time to get those facial proportions correct. those are tricky yes.