Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Your job placement is only 6.5h, which is a pretty short shift in the grand scheme of things. Same with 4 hour freelancing. That being said, maybe you’re in a place where that’s the best you can do (for example because of a disability or other condition), so I won’t judge.

Right now I work at an architectural design company doing 3D modelling, drafting etc. I start working at 8am and don’t leave until 5pm. Half an hour for lunch and two ten minute breaks. That also doesn’t include overtime and coming in on weekends. Is everyone working constantly throughout the day? No. But I’d say I do at least a solid 7 hours of work in a day. Some of that is waiting on programs to load large models or render, but most of the time I’m doing something. For most people that is what work is like. Of course being at a job that you like or that pays well helps with motivation, but not everything you do at your job is going to be things you like. I spend a lot of time doing boring finicky things like making sure all my objects line up or doing math. I took a very rough draft and made it into a model, and then I had to go back and change a bunch of things because my boss decided he wanted it to look different. I was bored out of my mind doing essentially the same work twice. But that’s the design/art industry - a lot of things that are boring or tedious mixed with the occasional interesting thing.

I very recently graduated. I didn’t have a lot of money so while I was in school I worked anywhere from 35-50 hour weeks on top of classes and large projects (particularly in my last year with my thesis). I didn’t do all nighters because I thought it was fun, I did it because I wanted a degree but also had to pay rent. I did a lot of work on the bus between work/home/school, or would go to bed at 2am and wake up at 5am to keep working. Met all my deadlines and got the degree. Was it healthy? Not really. I was tired and stressed all the time. I didn’t brag about it because it was embarrassing. I think people who brag about it are mostly procrastinators who think “pulling an all mightier” means working really hard when usually it means you’re in a bad situation or a bad planner.
    Last edited by octopuscats; May 9th, 2018 at 07:53 PM.
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by octopuscats View Post
    Your job placement is only 6.5h, which is a pretty short shift in the grand scheme of things. Same with 4 hour freelancing. That being said, maybe you’re in a place where that’s the best you can do (for example because of a disability or other condition), so I won’t judge.

Right now I work at an architectural design company doing 3D modelling, drafting etc. I start working at 8am and don’t leave until 5pm. Half an hour for lunch and two ten minute breaks. That also doesn’t include overtime and coming in on weekends. Is everyone working constantly throughout the day? No. But I’d say I do at least a solid 7 hours of work in a day. Some of that is waiting on programs to load large models or render, but most of the time I’m doing something. For most people that is what work is like. Of course being at a job that you like or that pays well helps with motivation, but not everything you do at your job is going to be things you like. I spend a lot of time doing boring finicky things like making sure all my objects line up or doing math. I took a very rough draft and made it into a model, and then I had to go back and change a bunch of things because my boss decided he wanted it to look different. I was bored out of my mind doing essentially the same work twice. But that’s the design/art industry - a lot of things that are boring or tedious mixed with the occasional interesting thing.

I very recently graduated. I didn’t have a lot of money so while I was in school I worked anywhere from 35-50 hour weeks on top of classes and large projects (particularly in my last year with my thesis). I didn’t do all nighters because I thought it was fun, I did it because I wanted a degree but also had to pay rent. I did a lot of work on the bus between work/home/school, or would go to bed at 2am and wake up at 5am to keep working. Met all my deadlines and got the degree. Was it healthy? Not really. I was tired and stressed all the time. I didn’t brag about it because it was embarrassing. I think people who brag about it are mostly procrastinators who think “pulling an all mightier” means working really hard when usually it means you’re in a bad situation or a bad planner.
    I don't have any disability that hinders the way I work. And when I mentioned the "hard working wizards" I didn't necessarily mean they bragged about it. They kind of said in a "I work hard, you don't" sort of way.

I don't mean to be critical, but your story is kind of what I'm talking about. I'm always hearing about how people worked insane hours on top of classes and while managing a job and completely paying for their school without the aid of their family(I don't know for sure if that is exactly your case). How is that even possible? How in gods name can you even function? Don't you ever have any personal or free time? Hearing stories like this makes me feel guilty and demoralized. Even when I was in college I've only pulled an all nighter once, and that was because I was assigned a large assignment that was due two days later. Does that make me slothful? Another thing to note is you already are working in a position that uses your art skills. Under normal circumstances I'm not in that position. I'm not employed full time as an artist(Again work at a Costco) and I feel if I was actually employed by a company I would normally work those hours. I'm more than happy to do the amount of work it takes to succeed, may it be 7 or 8 hour shifts at a job and doing all the tedious work necessary. But do I need to bend over backwards and again in order to have a respectable work ethic? Like only sleeping 4 or 5 hours and constantly doing nothing but work? I'm sorry if I'm coming across as judgemental or critical. I don't mean any offense.
    Last edited by Aubiter; May 10th, 2018 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Like I said, I didn’t do it because I wanted to or thought it was fun. If I didn’t do that I didn’t eat. It’s not something to be admired or to brag about. It’s embarrassing to be that poor. When your choice is “work like crazy and have a home to go to” or “get 6 hours of sleep and maybe get evicted”, you find the energy. It wasn’t healthy. I developed a bit of a substance abuse problem because of it. I was barely functional from day to day. I got sick a lot. I was irritable and generally horrible to be around. No one talks about that part of the “all nighter” lifestyle. Don’t aim for it if you don’t have to. There’s a balance between sloth and working so hard your will to live dries up.

At some point you have to get used to working longer hours though. 8 is Standard throughout the western world, plus more if there’s a deadline crunch. The work ethic doesn’t magically come, you have to develop it over time. It doesn’t sound like you’re in a a position where you’re completely reliant on your own income, which is probably why the drive isn’t there right now.
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I heard that story a lot. Never been able to pull those kind of hours unless in a desperate deadline situation, where i needed to work all day/night (it's not sustainable anyway). If i made an estimate about the hours on average, it would be 3 hours a day, being generous. It's just about learning stuff the smart way imo.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to All For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2