Thanks

Working on a full body character illustration

Slowly moving through the steps. Doing the drawing first
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Pretty damn good.

But since you asked, neck looks a bit weird, specially on the right side of the pic. Maybe the shoulder is too high or something.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't wish to offend, but you're in dire need of anatomy lessons. The whole entire thing; not just the neck. I'm not even sure the giant breasts were intentional at this point and they're always intentional.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with David in that she is a bit stylised and looks off, you need to study naked female forms and draw the heck out of them before you can pull one out of your head mate!

Oh I almost envy your research ha ha ha ha have fun and crack on with more studies.

I hope this helps
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    https://imgur.com/a/vnx3p

Yeah i'm figuring out how to break the anatomy and still make it look good
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Are those yours? that's awesome buddy! well done!

So what happened with the other one? does she look off because there is no reference as to what she is reclining on or sitting on?
    Maybe that's what is throwing folks off track!
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    I had added a surface for her to sit on but it broke the flow so I threw it away, so she has been pretty much floating.
    Made some minor changes to the size of the legs and feet and added another piece.

Thanks
    Just for the record. You're more skilled than you initially seemed to be. Carry on.
    Sketchbook

I mean, would it be so bad if all anyone remembers about me is that I was a lover of art, of women, and wine? Perhaps I reach too far.

Thanks
    The left one is looking strange in many places, she seems standing and sitting at the same time. You can try making that pose in front of a mirror and see whats out of place.
    The right one is cool but her right lower leg is bent to much imo. It's alright to push gesture but it's also easy to break the anatomy that way, so be careful. (you probably know the artist Zeronis, check his stuff out, and look how he apply anatomy in his style)
    Ps: The coat seems longer on the right side compared to the left.

Thanks
    rough block -in

Thanks
    update

Thanks
    I like this piece is there any websites were I can see more of your work

Thanks
    Really loving your style! Your lines are beautifully fluid and the translation to paint is also really compelling. There's a cool texture to your brush strokes.
    I also like the weirdness in the anatomy. I like seeing the shape language in this serpentine, sort of Mother Mary-esque swaying oval. I think what's making the anatomy a little off, though, is that her torso is too short. Bring the hips down a bit, and I think that will solve the issue.
    A little more movement in the hair, and perhaps some more tendrils of cloth coming off of the form could help the design.
    Those lil highlighted toesies are awesome.
    Twitch: @LDogDraws
    Instagram: @eastghoster

Thanks
    Update. Having trouble with some areas looking flat

@susanoo0 : I put all my work on my Fb profile :https://www.facebook.com/ho.gphong

Thanks
    why are you jumping into painting when you haven't even fixed the base anatomy yet

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdistant View Post
    why are you jumping into painting when you haven't even fixed the base anatomy yet
    It was broken by choice. I'm only concerned by the face , the shape of the hand/arm and legs . I don't really care whether or not the bone underneath is still intact or not
    Last edited by GPhong; April 28th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GPhong View Post
    It was broken by choice.
    I think the choice you made in how to break it, and to what degree, could perhaps have been a little better informed, or restrained. You're concerned about the face and limbs but this looks like a set of tits and arse with those elements as an afterthought, which - when combined with the overly long, skinny legs (admittedly worse in the clothed version) - knocks the design off it's 'idealised woman' perch and sends it tumbling down the uncanny valley.

It makes me think of the results if Rob Liefeld drew manga instead of superhero comics. There's a similar vibe of... not sexualised exaggeration in itself, but exaggeration to past the point of looking inhuman, clashing with the apparent intent of relative realism in every other aspect. That you've already shown that you can draw the human figure very well just adds to my dismayed bafflement.

And I might've stayed quiet if you hadn't posted something anime-influenced and defended it with 'but it's my style...'
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    I think the choice you made in how to break it, and to what degree, could perhaps have been a little better informed, or restrained. You're concerned about the face and limbs but this looks like a set of tits and arse with those elements as an afterthought, which - when combined with the overly long, skinny legs (admittedly worse in the clothed version) - knocks the design off it's 'idealised woman' perch and sends it tumbling down the uncanny valley.

It makes me think of the results if Rob Liefeld drew manga instead of superhero comics. There's a similar vibe of... not sexualised exaggeration in itself, but exaggeration to past the point of looking inhuman, clashing with the apparent intent of relative realism in every other aspect. That you've already shown that you can draw the human figure very well just adds to my dismayed bafflement.

And I might've stayed quiet if you hadn't posted something anime-influenced and defended it with 'but it's my style...'
    Well I tried really hard not to come up as defensive . I set out to make a broken female figure to fit into a shape and paint a plastic doll . Maybe I could have restrained , maybe i could have broken it even further to avoid the uncanny valley. My hope is that I can break it graceful enough that most people wouldn't mind it.

It might look successful to some or a broken mess to most . Either way, I'm collecting notes and feedbacks from other to evaluate. I posted the imgur album to show that I already know the correct thing before I break it and I was just trying to state my focuses for this painting . People can say " yeah I think this broken mess is pretty garbage bro, i'm not buying it " and I wouldn't try to argue, I would just think about how I can break it better next time.

I do appreciate you telling me that I didn't break the figure enough that it has fallen into the uncanny valley. That critique wouldn't have happened had I just make a proportionally, anatomically correct figure

Here's something i was referencing
    Last edited by GPhong; April 28th, 2018 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks
    Update

Thanks
    well the things you were referencing aren't successful either. it's just bad anatomy, but they do look better constructed than yours; the one on the left at least
    no amount of tits can fix that or make it look anything other than uncanny unfortunately, you have to give her a spine and pelvis next time for it to work.
    not doing yourself a favour by stylizing in this way as you've shown that you do have the mechanical skill to pull off amazing things, why you refuse to do so is beyond me honestly

Thanks
    Thanked 6,624 Times in 4,561 Posts

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    You need to learn how to foreshorten the leg. Currently it looks like she is deformed.
    Yeah that was unintended.

Thanks
    Old's final

New WIP

Thanks
    Hey man, you had a lot of nice subtle values in your last pic that I think you could really play up. Adjusting the lighting a little and the sense of ambient occlusion/cloth luminance could add some really neat feelings to the piece I think

Name:  adjust3.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  101.2 KB

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunger_Artist For This Useful Post: